I need help with Titanium Dioxide and White Kaolin Clay

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ondobody

Reaction score
Hello!
I seem to be getting white specks in my soap from either the TD or the kaolin clay (or both)
I was wondering what brands you guys love for TD and white kaolin clay?
Also do you guys have any special methods that prevent these specks from happening? I have tried grinding them in a coffee grinder and mixing in hot water with a latte frother. Still getting small specks.
Is mixing in castor oil better than mixing in water? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

I mix my td in sweet almond oil….

put it into a baggie, add the oil. Close the baggie and smoosh around until it is smooth. Add oil if needed until you have the consistency you want. Then when i am ready for it, i cut into the edge of the bottom of the baggie and squeeze it in the batter. Make sure you have a cup or paper plate to lay it on to catch any drips.

I do this before i start anything else. I have tried all methods on the internet as well as all suggestions, and this is by far the easiest way for me. I waste a bit, but its worth it to me to not have any td boogers.

Are the specks / lumps visible in the dry clay and titanium dioxide prior to adding them to the water? The texture should be like very fine talcum powder.

I always dissolve both the kaolin clay and TD in water and give them a good blending with a mini-blender. I just use room temperature water too.
I have never had any issues with specks at all. You might try sifting them through a very fine mesh tea strainer to see if that helps.
Do lumps / specks appear in the water after dissolving them?
I use "Pure" brand TD, the kaolin I get from several different sources. I always buy it as a cosmetic grade, which means it is very finely ground and ready to use as a facial mask, etc.

Are the specks / lumps visible in the dry clay and titanium dioxide prior to adding them to the water? The texture should be like very fine talcum powder.

I always dissolve both the kaolin clay and TD in water and give them a good blending with a mini-blender. I just use room temperature water too.
I have never had any issues with specks at all. You might try sifting them through a very fine mesh tea strainer to see if that helps.
Do lumps / specks appear in the water after dissolving them?
I use "Pure" brand TD, the kaolin I get from several different sources. I always buy it as a cosmetic grade, which means it is very finely ground and ready to use as a facial mask, etc.

The specs don't show up at all until I cut the soaps and voila, it's there :( I will definitely try to strain them through a tea strainer! I think that would definitely help because I can't ever visually see them when I'm mixing it in water.. except the kaolin clay I see floating specks of tiny clumps sometimes when I add it to my lye water.

Thank you all for all the help!! I will try everyone's methods!

Mixing TD with oil vs water. Has improved my batches. Also, Mix a slurry. In a small squirt bottle. With a couple of stainless steel nuts/bolts. To agitate, just give it a good shake. Then disperse as needed. My complexion is now, 99% booger free.
Another comment, some white Mica's. Are made using TD. Just get samples to try. If you do experiment with them.

I can't wait to try all of these methods!
Just yesterday I did a Tree Marie trick. I poured a Tbsp oil on a cutting board. I added a tsp TD and used a small palette knife to smoosh and mix, and then used the knife to scoop into a small bowl. It worked better than my previous method of putting oil and TD in a small wax cup and using a popsicle stick to smoosh.

I also use the plastic bag method, which I think I first read about in a Tree Marie comment thread for one of her YT videos. My TD is the oil soluble type. I add X grams of TD and 3X grams of HO Sunflower, seal the bag and smoosh away. When I can’t feel any lumps or see any white streaks in the bag after I smoosh, I snip the corner and squeeze the mixture into a squirt bottle. My TD is quite stubborn, so I try to plan ahead.

Like @Zing ive used Tina Marie method too' it works. for TD I use a ratio of 3 to 1. I'll heat 3 tbs of distilled water in microwave tell its really hot & mix 1tbs of TD stir really well.
Also your hard fats like Shea' Cocoa butter' Palm can cause white specs too.

The specs don't show up at all until I cut the soaps and voila, it's there :(
Do you use a wire cutter to cut your soaps? Wire cutters can show air bubbles to look like specks.

I only use kaolin clay in my soaps, never tried TD, and honestly I either mix it with my FO or a tablespoon or two of batch oil. (I tend to mix all additives with batch oil...) I also use one of the mini milk frother mixers to disperse. I now warm water works better but I always forget to grab some of my batch water before I add my masterbatch lye.

I use water soluble TD and when I get it, I put the whole bag thru a fine tea strainer and into another container. When I use it, I let it soak in a little water before I need it (maybe like an hour or so), periodically hitting it with the mini frother. Haven’t had the specks since, (I used to get them all the time).

My TD is water soluble. I add it to a plastic squeeze bottle with 3X distilled water and some glass marbles. I shake shake shake my bottle. And then just use it up little by little. I actually add a gram of LGP because it can be 2-3 months until I use it all. Then I wash out the bottle and start again. I never have white speckles.

Just finished a soaping session and did the plastic baggie squish thang. It was a little awkward trying to squeeze the cut baggie into the teaspoon -- BUT it was all smooshed and no lumps!

Latest posts

Back