I need help with oils..Please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balloons

Reaction score
My hubby is so great...He went shopping today and came home with a gallon of oil for me to use when I am making soap. I was talking about getting some 100% olive oil a couple of days ago and he came home with this... ImageUploadedBySoap Making1430009362.481580.jpg ImageUploadedBySoap Making1430009465.972040.jpg
I don't know how to put that in the soap calculator.
Can someone PLEASE help me figure this out? I'm so new at this I don't know what or how to mark this in the soap calculator I have only made 3 bathes of soap but I have never used this oil.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Duh moment for me. Never even thought of emailing them. Thank you!

On the up side, olive oil has a sap value of 0.135, while soybean is 0.136. That's practically identical.

I'd just call it pure soybean oil in SoapCalc and run with it that way. At worst, you're increasing your super fat 0.1%. Most likely, by 0.05% or less.

Now...a warning. If, as I suspect, it's a high percentage of soybean oil, you'll be flirting with DOS if you use too much of it. I'd be tempted to limit this oil to 20% of your total recipe absolute maximum.

I agree with Morpheus. In looking at the SAP values for OO pomace and soybean, they're really close. Also, we know SAP values are an educated guess but can change between crops due to weather & soil conditions, etc. When I put in pomace as 100% of the recipe I got 2.04 oz (57.76gms) lye needed. Then I put in soybean, 27.5% hydrogenated, also at 100% of the recipe and got 2.07oz (58.68gms) lye needed. So really the difference is minor.

I'd put it in as either OO pomace or soybean, 27.5% hydrogenated and go with Morpheus's suggestion of 20%.

Good luck with it!

If it's returnable, I'd do that and get 100% olive oil instead. It's more expensive, but won't have the oxidation issue.

If you have a discount warehouse in your area, they frequently have gallon jugs of Grade A olive oil fairly cheaply. That's where I get mine.

I'd personally call them and ask what percentages each oil was as suggested above, and for the record I have used up to 50% of pure soybean oil and have not gotten DOS yet..and I have 3 yr old bars still..but it could also be variables on my end..your results may differ.

Was nice of your hubby to do that for you tho :)

Soybean has 21% saturated fat, olive has 14%. With this, you can look at the saturated fat % of the mix and work out the % of each in there:

If it's 20% it's mainly soybean, if it's 15% it's mainly olive. 18% is a little bit more soybean than olive, 17% is a little bit more olive than soybean. Keep using trial and error until you narrow it right down.

Eta - so this that 2g saturated fat for every 15ml or 13-14 grams. That is really too broad for accuracy (if they had 'per 100g' it would have been easier.

I say email them

Last edited:
"...find out what the percentages are of each oil are..."

I bet we can make a decent guess even without a call to the manufacturer. If you look at the nutrition label, it says there are 8 g polyunsaturated fat, 4 g monounsaturated fat, and 2 g saturated for a total of 14 g.

What is the translation of poly, mono, and saturated fat?
Poly = linoleic + linolenic
Mono = oleic
Sat = pretty much everything else, since we aren't talking about castor oil here

So what are the percentages of each type of fat?
8 / 14 X 100 = 57% poly
4 / 14 X 100 = 29% mono
2 / 14 X 100 = 14% sat

When I compare these numbers to pomace olive and to soybean in Soapcalc, this looks a lot like the profile for soybean to me. The label says soy and olive blend with soy being the first word; this also suggests that soy is the main oil of the two.

I agree with Morpheus that the sap value is about the same, so getting a reasonable sap number is no problem. The question really boils down to whether you want to use some soy oil in your soaps or not. Some use a modest amount with good results as Jstar explains, but others prefer to avoid it. It's really a personal preference thing. This oil blend can also be used in cooking and baking just fine, so that's another possibility.

Effy, the saturated fat is a minor constituent in either oil, so I'm not sure I'd focus on it for this particular problem. My notes for these two oils suggest the % of saturated fats varies quite a bit and can be almost the same. Now if we were talking about coconut oil vs lard, that would be another story!

IMO, it's better to focus on the predominant fatty acids -- oleic (mono) vs linoleic (poly). If olive, oleic will be the main FA in the blend. If soy, polyunsaturated will be the main FA. We're seeing that polyunsaturated fat is the highest %, and that points at soybean oil being the main oil in the blend.

I have made soap with high amounts (50-60%) soybean oil and never had DOS develop, even after 2 years. I have used vegetable shortening without issues as well.

I would consider this a soybean oil in soapcalc and use it, just to use it up. From this point on tho....I would only buy 100% oils to be sure of exactly what you are putting into your soaps...it's just easier in the long run.

Thanks everyone for your input! I think that I'm just going to exchange it for a different oil. Makes me sad because hubby paid only $10.00 for a gallon. Oh well...for a few more bucks I can get 100% OO.

I am glad we have this place for advice, Ballooons, you got the best going, I think. Although if you can't exchange it, just go forward and have fun trying, that is the best part of being a newbie for me, I learn at least a bit from all of the mistakes. Also, I think it is lovely that your DH made the attempt to make you happy, you have a good one.

I'm so glad we have this place and all the great people for advice too not_ally. Hubby is definitely a keeper. Over the years he has always been supporting of my hobbies. We even turned one of our spare bedrooms into a craft room. I do a lot of paper crafting, candle making and candy making to name a few.
Hubby did exchange the the soybean, olive oil combo today for extra virgin olive oil. It was only $5 more...managers special.

Back