I need help with a design PLEASE!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goat soap rulz!

Reaction score
I just had an awesome idea!!!! So for Christmas soaps, i was going to do a winter one and then a Christmas one BUT!!! I had a better idea!
A NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS SOAP!!! My sister LOVES that movie! I think it would be so fun to surprise her with it on christmas!! She lives in Arizona, so i don't get to see her much sadly :(
But now, i am wanting it to be a special soap, so i don't want many bars, maybe 10 @ most, so i guess it is time to splurge on a 2 lb mold!

ANYWAYYYS!
I really want to do the little cliff that jack stands on in Halloween town with a moon behind it. Im thinking a white backround, with yellow moon, and the black cliff.
1597543181468.png

But im not sure how to achieve that.

Anyways, this thread is kind of impulsive, so i may have a better idea later, but i think this would be a super cool soap! And i know my sister would absolutely LOVE it!

Anyways, im sorry i have so many threads out right now! I have a bunch of soap ideas racing through my mind, even though i am so tired, and should probably go to sleep! (i woke up at 5:00 this morning, vs my usual 8:00 I hate waking up early!)

I just realized i say "anyways" ALOT.

Ok, i need sleep, im getting side tracked!

Any ideas will be so helpful!
I just wanna say that SMF has inspired me to challenge my self as a soap maker, and honestly i have enjoyed it so much more! Thank you guys for that!

Sounds like a cool idea and I like the color scheme. For me, the most eye catching thing to the picture you posted is how the tip spirals out and would be sweet if you incorporated it somehow. The only way I could think to make it is the way Holly did in this video she made. Some extra steps but seems doable for a small batch of soap.

wow! Thank you! That is a very good idea!

very interesting. would i mix activated charcoal with something to get it to stick?
You would use mica. I can't remember the process but if you Google it you will get some good information. I know that most people use hodgepodge as part of the process and from what I understand if you don't use the hodgepodge it won't work well.

It's not hard but it does require some supplies that you might not have on hand.

Hmm. A combination of soap dough and sculpted layers might work but it would be very difficult to execute. If it were me I might choose a less intricate and equally iconic image to capture from the movie. If your set on this image an inlay might produce the best results for a fraction of the headache.

This is such a cool idea for a soap!! And I think it's definitely doable with an inlaid soap design. You could use sculptured layers for the lower hills if you want it to go al the way through the soap, or also carve and fill them like if you don't mind they get washed off (I find carving easy and am scared of sculpting so I might be a bit biased).
The moon can be an embed, which shouldn't be too hard to place and then just print this image in the size of your soap, put it on top and cut through the paper into your soap to make an outline, take the paper away and carve out inside the outline you just made. Any tool can be used for carving. The deeper you carve, the longer the picture lasts, but with small details carving deep is difficult.
This inlaid technique is definitely possible for the cliff (fill with black) and hills (fill with white). I think it could probably also work for jack, but it will be very difficult. I've heard of people painting, which I think would be a good option, but apparently there's also some kind of paper you can sort of paste onto your soap? then you could print Jack.. (although cutting him out might be difficult) I've seen it in a landscape soap somewhere, but can't remember where.
Maybe you could lasercut a stencil into paper and just paint through the stencil?
About the colors, I would keep the background black and the moon light yellow. If you make the background white and the moon yellow it might end up looking like a sun.

How would you feel about leaving Jack out of the picture? I think the rest is iconic enough to be easily recognized, and you could save yourself a LOT of potential heartache.
I was planning on just doing the cliff and moon :) Sorry if i didnt state that!

yall have given me alot to think about! Thank you! I will look for other scenes, and see if i can find an easier to achieve one!! If not,i will experiment with very small batches! I may get a 4 bar silicone mold and use that!

What kind of tool do you use to make the indent? I was thinking an exacto knife for around the stencil

But what should i use to dig out the picture?
Thanks!

A lot of people use different tools and it's a bit personal. I use a wood carving knife because that's what I have. I think clay sculpting tools are very popular for carving, but you could literally use anything sort of sharp that you have around the house. I've seen anything from pointy scissors to unfolded paperclips being used.

Y’all... I am SOO happy with it!!! Thank you guys so much from the bottom of my heart for all of the wonderful ideas!!!

4089E60C-4B50-456E-B114-62EF434C99A2.jpeg

This was a few hours ago when the cliff was still wet but here is how i made it! I would LOVE to see you guys recreate it!!

Mold: 2 Lb basic mold from Nurture.
Fragrance: Lavendar Sage from nurture soap. Oddly slowed down trace, but my sis picked it :)

Moon: made a moon the day before with a 3 inch PVC pipe because i wanted it to be HUGE just like it is in the movie. I made 1 lb and it made 6/7 bars with the moon. The other one i just loaded the top with glitter. then i sectioned a small amount off. Maybe 1/4 pound. I used 1/2 tsp yellow oxide in larger batter bowl, and a splash of TD (not sure how much!) in small one, and when the batter was runny, i made an in the pot swirl.

Ok now i only needed to make 0.6 more lbs. The mold holds 1.55 lbs

So first layer (ground): sectioned off a tad bet less than half, (the rest of the half was for the pumpkins) and colored with 1/4 tsp black pearl from NS, 1/4 tsp AC, and 1/8 tsp purple vibrance.

Now, take that little bit left over from the split, and colored that with orange vibrance from NS, put in a sandwich bag when both batters were runny, and cut the tip off and swirled in the purple.

Now, the sky, i colored 1/4 tsp black pearl, 1/4 tsp AC, 1/8 tsp blue vibrance, and 1/16 tsp td to see blue better. poured abt half let it set up, put the moon in which displaced alot, as expected, and poured in the rest.

Let set for 24 hours, while forcing gel

Took the a soap cleanup tool from BB (i got it there bc i ordered a bunch of stuff from there anyways) and outlined in my mind what i wanted the hill to look like. dug out abt 1/2 inch (one inch bars). This took nearly 2 hours for 6 soaps. waited overnight, bc by then it was already 10:00 at night

Then i made 1/8 pound of soap (yes, possibly the tiniest batch in the world lol) and colored with 1/8 tsp black pearl and 1/8 tsp Ac. also went ahead and fragrance bc why not. And poured very slowly while the soap was at an extremely light trace so i wont have many air bubbles and so it would fill the cut out easily, and so it easily wiped off the face of the soap if any dripped. IT. FIT. PERFECTLY. LOL!! It was so satisfying xD.

Sprayed with rubbing alcohol and they sat on the heating pad for a few hours.

all done!! Let me know if you recreate it and PLEASE! Tag me or put it in this thread! I couldn't have made it with out you guys! Thank you for all of the encouragement and support, inspiration, and ideas i get from yall! Sending much love from Texas!

Back