I need help please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

She9

Reaction score
hi I’m very new to soap making but already addicted. I made my first crockpot batch last Monday and it just won’t harden. I am thinking I will recook it. I feel that perhaps I was too excited and didn’t cook it long enough. Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just go for it?

Why not! My first soap was a hot process class and everyone had their loaves of soap crumble. I talked to a gal who took the class and she put it all back in her crock pot and re-batched it and had nice bars of soap. I'm sure in time one of the soap sages will pipe in her with their expert advice! Brilliant people here! You found the right spot for trouble shooting! Good Luck She9!
Welcome to the best addiction ever!!! I'm hooked!

hi I’m very new to soap making but already addicted. I made my first crockpot batch last Monday and it just won’t harden. I am thinking I will recook it. I feel that perhaps I was too excited and didn’t cook it long enough. Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just go for it?

I think the people here will be able to help more if you let them know the recipe. Types/percent of oils, amount of lye, liquid etc. It may not have been cooked long enough, but there are many other factors that could cause soft soap.

Question? Has anyone used silk cocoons in their soap making process? How do you degum them? I've seen someone use pure soap not detergent with a vinegar rinse.

Question? Has anyone used silk cocoons in their soap making process? How do you degum them? I've seen someone use pure soap not detergent with a vinegar rinse.
You have to dissolve the cocoons in your hot lye. Silk is un-wound from cocoons boiling in water. For soap, you just use the entire cocoon, I have only used silk cocoons when adding silk to my soap. I use 1-2 cocoons ppo. Your lye will turn a light yellow but does not really affect your soap color.

Even if you didn't cook it long enough, it'll continue to saponify in the mold... I've molded not fully gelled HP soap lots of times that I'm sure still zapped and they hardened eventually. So I doubt it's that..

Kcryss is right, we'll need your full recipe including liquid amount and additives, and procedure....

Don't be quick to rebatch. Sometimes it's a waste of good soap, and time n resources as well. Not always of course..

Dawni is correct. I had a batch that I was ready to reprocess as well and for much the same reason. They talked me into letting it sit a while longer and it is now as hard as my other batches. :)

I think the people here will be able to help more if you let them know the recipe. Types/percent of oils, amount of lye, liquid etc. It may not have been cooked long enough, but there are many other factors that could cause soft soap.

Hi to all
First of all Thankyou everyone who has offered help and suggestions. This was my recipe:
Veg oil 8oz
Coconut oil 4 oz
Olive oil 4 oz
71/2 oz water
2 oz lye.
When I thought it was ready I added 2 teaspoons orange essence and 2oz of macadamia oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Veg oil 8oz
Coconut oil 4 oz
Olive oil 4 oz
71/2 oz water
2 oz lye.
When I thought it was ready I added 2 teaspoons orange essence and 2oz of macadamia oil.

I'm also very new so not even close to expert level, but from my perspective I would say you are using a 23% lye concentration. So, maybe too much water to lye for 1 thing. But I think 2oz of extra oil after the cook on a 16oz recipe is way too much. I don't know if it will even harden with that much oil, but maybe after a couple of weeks?

I'm sure one of the experts here will chime in with much better information.

In the meantime, here is a great link on using a soap calculator and what all the numbers actually mean as well as how to formulate the soap for the best possible outcome.

https://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.asp#bar

Here's what your recipe looks like in the soap calculator
upload_2020-1-18_20-41-35.png

Your lye should be closer to 33%. You've over superfatted your recipe so it may not harden. You can save it by grating it up and cooking it in the crockpot and adding the extra lye. Then stir and cook until it gets translucent looking and pour back in your mold. You might have to add a little extra water.

Hi thanks for helpful advice. I did put it back in crockpot with some grated beeswax, cooked and poured back in mould (yesterday). Today I unmoulded and put it away to see if it hardens. Maybe maybe not. But I will haveE another go. And I will not just add extra oil because we thought it was a great idea . I will find a better crockpot recipe, any suggestions.
But really to everyone who helped a really big thankyou I will not give up

Any soap recipe can be CP or HP. The only difference is HP requires more water. There are lots of recipes on the forum that have been shared. If you have access to lard it makes awesome soap and not expensive in most cases. 45% Lard, 20% Coconut, 30% Olive, Sunflower or other liquid oil, 5% Castor Oil. Run through a soap calculator with 5% SF. You'll need 3:1 Water:Lye not 33% as suggested above. 33% is good for CP not HP.

Latest posts

Back