I need advice...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenmarie82

Reaction score
I'm supposed to drop off some samples today of my guest sized soap bars to a lady that owns a bed and breakfast here in town. I don't know what to do. After hearing so many people tell me that i should have insurance before selling even one bar, i don't know if I should proceed with this potential sale. She said that she would probably purchase around 50-100 bars.

What should I do? I can't very well tell her no, I changed my mind and I can't sell to her, can I? This is a sticky situation.

You can try explaining to her that you aren't quite set up yet to sell.....amybe give her a few bars to tide her over and get moving on obtaining insurance. I wouldn't sell a thing without insurance...and since it is so easy to get you should be able to move forward with the actual sale relatively soon.

Insurance is expensive so I won't be able to get it for a while and don't you have to have a business license before getting insurance?

yes. but the upside is the license is cheap.

This is what I'm thinking about telling the lady:

I will send you a few different types so you can choose which scent you like best.
As I’m just starting out, I am waiting on my license and insurance and right now I’m
Simply trying to get a customer base established. If you are satisfied with the samples
Please let me know and I will keep you in my database. If there’s a particular scent
You would like but I don’t have, please let me know. I am trying to get feedback so I can
Make all of my soaps to my customers satisfaction.

Once my insurance comes through, I will contact you and then hopefully we can proceed from there.
If you know of anyone else that would like to sample my soap please let me know.

Does that sound ok? I don't want to lose her as a customer.

I think thats a great reply.

It shows that you are actively trying to run a professional operation, that hold her and her guests in high regard, not willing to sell to them unless you are all protected. That simple act could inspire confidence in you and your company that would pay off for years.

Perhaps as you come closer to your goals you can keep her in the loop, testing new scents and recipes. You will have gained by making a new friend, she will certainly know other BB owners so you may have opportunities to sell to her colleagues too.

Set your goals and work towards them.

Back