I need a large enamel pot…

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry S

Reaction score
Where is the best place to purchase a large enamel pot for soap making. Can I use stainless steel, Aluminum? I have a smaller (2-3 quart) enamel pot but it’s really getting tired. They say one can use a glass bowl for making soap, but I can’t find anything suitable.
Jerry S

NOT aluminum, and I really don't think enamel over aluminum is a good idea either. Stainless is your best bet.

I have all glass bowls. The ones I have are Anchor brand, you can get them at Target or Wal-Mart.

I have many of them in all different sizes, from about a 1-cup dish to a 4 quart one. I just put them in the oven to warm instead of using a pot.

I started with an enameled pan I picked up at the Dollar General. No, it wasn't a dollar but $8. I still have it and use it occasionally but SS is the best. For something like that I've found that walk-in restaurant supply stores of the best.

we have a gorgeous huge ss pot.

I'm not allowed to use it. DH is quite firm on this.

so, I got all my various sizes soaping pots at a second-hand store. They work great! (and Mr. Grumpy Cooking-Guy is happy)

I think that My DW is just happy I do most of the cooking. She could care less that I use our stainless pots and Kitchen Aid mixer to make soap. I think she is also happy I've started making soap. She just started shaving with a DE safety razor and that combined with my shaving cream makes her legs feel incredibly smooth.

xyxoxy said:
If you have something like Ollies or Harbor Freight near you they have some good deals on stainless steel pots. I've also used plastic Rubbermaid pitchers for smaller batches.

Definitely no aluminum.

Thanks Mickey! I never would have thought of Harbor Freight, and there's one about ten blocks away.

I have a 80 quart stainless steel pot. It covers 2 burners on my stove completly. I use it to make homebrew beer in.

Bruce

Enamel is ok, but it has to be free of any chips. Because it can chip so easily, it's really not recommended for cp soaping. Just think about the possiblity of enamel chips ending up in your soap.

Lye will react adversely with metals. The only safe one is stainless steel. You can find SS pans at garage sales, etc. I found a set of 3 in a clearance isle for $16.

Back