I miss soap blogs!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
I have dozens and dozens of soap blogs bookmarked, and from before I even made soap, I loved scrolling through them, reading the thoughts of the soapmakers and enjoying the pictures of what they'd made, being inspired, thinking that one day maybe I could do that. And after I began making soap myself, the blogs meant even more, like sitting down with a friend who had similar interests. I love the format of a blog...like a journal, with pictures. I felt like I knew those bloggers. Sadly, most of them have abandoned their blogs for Facebook or Instagram, and it's not the same. I miss them dearly. Just a few of the blogs I once read regularly and now miss...Future Primitive, Naturalmente Mediterraneo, Sweet Pine Soaps, Santo Sabao, A Breath of French Air, Dear Soap, Amber's Ambry, Cocobong, and Soap is Beautiful. Ahh, the good old days. Am I the only one?

I never have liked blogs, not on any subject.

Often I know they contain info that I want but trying to wade through all the rambling to find it is tiresome, especially as search functions on blogs suck.

If it's just ramblings, then it's not so bad. It's when instructions or recipes are hidden in walls of text with no way to effectively locate them that get too me.

Personally, I'm glad to see the blog craze slowing down.

I think blogs tend to be temporary. Lots of people start them and then lose interest. Maybe start looking for new ones? Auntie Clara's is gorgeous!

Oh, Auntie Clara's has been on my list, I have added newer ones, but I'm nostalgic for some of the oldies.

Personally, I'm glad to see the blog craze slowing down.

Nooooo! Some people are wonderful story tellers and photographers. And if they happen to be soapmakers too, well that's the best of all. Of course, there are plenty of people who really have nothing to say and just love the opportunity to do so, but there really are some good blogs out there, if you look. Maybe my favorite of all, (not a soaper) was "Pres du puits", a blog about Marie and Fred, a young French couple who moved to Morocco to build their dream home, a mud brick house in the countryside there. Of all the places I've been lucky enough to visit, Morocco is probably my favorite, and I really enjoyed living vicariously through Marie's blog, as they worked on their house, and the stories of their neighbors and the animals. But things don't always work out as planned, and "Pres du puits" was eventually abandoned too. http://presdupuitsinmorocco.blogspo...:51:00Z&max-results=8&start=120&by-date=false I enjoy reading about people in other countries, living lives very different from my own, ordinary people, creative people, and then there's Humans of New York that never ceases to amaze me with how totally vulnerable people are willing to make themselves. Yeah, I still enjoy blogs...some blogs.

I agree with Obsidian, I'm not a huge fan of the rambling paragraphs and personal life stories. I like blogs with MEAT. I honestly hate the trend of recipe blogs that have literally 10 paragraphs of life-story before giving you the bloody recipe way at the bottom of the page.

The only blogs I read are Swifty Crafty Monkey (love all the science and recipes she gives) and a Dungeon & Dragons blog.

I honestly hate the trend of recipe blogs that have literally 10 paragraphs of life-story before giving you the bloody recipe way at the bottom of the page.

This is how I feel, too. Or the ones that shuffle bits of the recipe throughout​ those 10 paragraphs.

As a mother of 4, though, I do appreciate the funny Mommy bloggers (Google "horrifying conversations with mini" sometime). And there is one I miss who no longer writes. I sometimes wonder what's happening with her.

Tiggy from future primitive hangs out in some of the Facebook groups I am in. She's lovely, I would have love to read her blog as I imagine she would have had a lot of insightful information to share.

I like the curious soapmaker, but she seems to have also disappeared :(

Tiggy from future primitive hangs out in some of the Facebook groups I am in. She's lovely, I would have love to read her blog as I imagine she would have had a lot of insightful information to share.

I like the curious soapmaker, but she seems to have also disappeared :(

Tiggy has a lot of videos on Youtube, I've always enjoyed watching those, too. She seems like a soaper who'd be fun to hang out with. I'm not familiar with the curious soapmaker, and I don't do Facebook or Twitter or Instagram, so...I guess I'll just remember those early ones that inspired me so much. I'm thankful I was around then, because I learned a lot from them.

Back