I May Have an Opportunity to Sell

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
found out about a small crafter's market I wasn't aware of. She gave me the FB link to the market's page and I've made contact with the woman in charge. ... I now have a name... Mission Meadows Soapery.
You sound so calm, cool and collected but I'm SO excited for you! How did you come up with your name? I like it!

I've signed up for Square and I've downloaded the app to my tablet, which will be coming with me to the market (when I'm ready). So far, it's been a breeze setting it all up. I was up until about 10:00 playing with it last night.

I love square. It allows me to enter my inventory that I take to my shows and sends notices to you me when stock gets to low. I'm able to have it notify me when it reaches whatever number I enter.

They also send you daily sales reports when you sell. Also, end of year reports. Very handy. I think you'll like it.

You sound so calm, cool and collected but I'm SO excited for you! How did you come up with your name? I like it!

LOL I'm always calm.... well, almost always. Just don't make me angry. This IS exciting, and a little overwhelming, and I'm deep in preparation even though I haven't officially signed up yet. Even my husband is on board. I think I'm a little more...no, a lot more... realistic than he is. He thinks he'll be able to quit his job to help sell soap and we'll be able to retire on the profits. Ha! I know better than that and I keep reminding him of it.

Mission Meadows Soapery (I've had very positive feedback, btw)... we live in an area of Kelowna known as the Mission, named for the original Catholic mission founded by Father Pandosy. It's a great area for walking and one of my favourite places in the area is an organic farm stand called Old Meadows Farm. Even though the area is becoming more and more residential, there's a marsh and a working farm, with beef cows, and meadow land. Next to the farm is a large sports/library/swimming pool complex with ball diamonds, soccer fields, and an awesome walking path along Mission Creek. And I make soap; hence the "soapery". I tried a few variations but Mission Meadows Soapery just has a sound and feel that struck a chord... it has a "classic" or "vintage" feel to it that I love. Now, I'm just waiting for my son to come up with a logo for me. Unfortunately for me, he's in the process of setting up his own business.

Plus, it's a name that I can take with me, if we ever decide to move. It's generic enough to work almost anywhere.

Oh my, you folks are really into this! I never considered anything but cash and an e-transfer! E-transfers are easy and free but in a market situation you would be too busy to deal with all that. I'm not really into markets a lot. Most purchases are at my home or wholesale.

Oh my, you folks are really into this! I never considered anything but cash and an e-transfer! E-transfers are easy and free but in a market situation you would be too busy to deal with all that. I'm not really into markets a lot. Most purchases are at my home or wholesale.

That's pretty much what my husband said... cash or cash. However, I did notice that this is a somewhat higher end market and the majority of the vendors were displaying the Square symbol. That tells me that a lot of the customers aren't carrying around a lot of cash. If I can do something to encourage purchases, I will.

I love Square's inventory control option and their invoice option.

They also give you a free mkt.com (i think it is) website that you can also integrate with your own domain. You can see mine at www.amdsoap.com if you want to see what the format looks like, it's very simple. So I use the Square free webstore with my own domain. It gives you the option for pickup/delivery or shipping. Just a word of warning, many of my customers who use their mobile devices find it difficult to figure out how to switch it from shipping (the default) to pickup. That's where the invoice comes in handy. It will allow you to do a partial refund too, so sometimes I have refund the shipping costs to a pickup customer. I am just a fan of Square overall.

That's pretty much what my husband said... cash or cash. However, I did notice that this is a somewhat higher end market and the majority of the vendors were displaying the Square symbol. That tells me that a lot of the customers aren't carrying around a lot of cash. If I can do something to encourage purchases, I will.

If you are doing shows you will loose money if you don't take credit. At a show last year because I took credit I got a 300.00 purchase. It was a family doing Christmas Shopping.

Indeed. I have had customers stop and only pick out one soap because that was all they had cash for, and then when they see my Square sign, they picked out $20 more in product.

Just a bit of advice, make sure you know how work your system before you get to the show. I had a friend who upgraded to the chip reader, thought she knew how to work it and lost over $100 in sales simply because she didn't know how to tell if the card had processed or not. Fortunately her second show she was setup next to me so I was able to help her out.

Taking CC is very very important if yhou want Sell and it makes no difference what size the market is. Yesterday at my weekly market almost all my sales were CC and I know I sold a shawl for over $60 because I take cards. The lady really liked the shawl but did not have enough cash so mentioned she would go inside and look for an ATM. Nope, not letting her get away I mentioned I can takes cards and she would not have to pay a card fee, she said, "Oh you do,"and I got the sale was mine. People just do not carry a lot of cash these days

LOL I'm always calm.... well, almost always. Just don't make me angry. This IS exciting, and a little overwhelming, and I'm deep in preparation even though I haven't officially signed up yet. Even my husband is on board. I think I'm a little more...no, a lot more... realistic than he is. He thinks he'll be able to quit his job to help sell soap and we'll be able to retire on the profits. Ha! I know better than that and I keep reminding him of it.
You're thinking is spot on! I've always felt there's no way to make a living selling soap -- until and unless you do well enough at markets/events to begin with, thereby getting valuable feedback (good and bad) and building up a customer base, then moving on to selling wholesale and teaching.

Your DH can be a huge help at first, but it might be best if he has a profitable hobby of his own -- like knife & scissor sharpening. A soaping buddy in Arizona says her husband's sideline clears $100-$200 per market -- people wait in line to get their knives sharpened -- even on a bad day when she makes a pitiful $60 because of the weather, poor turnout, or whatever.
I tried a few variations but Mission Meadows Soapery just has a sound and feel that struck a chord... it has a "classic" or "vintage" feel to it that I love.
That's exactly how I felt when I read it -- I just couldn't come up with the words you used to describe it so well. :thumbs:

Now, I'm just waiting for my son to come up with a logo for me. Unfortunately for me, he's in the process of setting up his own business.
FYI: If you go to Vista Print, they have ready-made business card designs you can choose from to tide you over until your son gets to designing your logo. They also have all the other accoutrements you need, like really nice banners! It's a good company to do business with, they've been around "forever" and their prices won't break the budget.

Since I have a store and a local merchant account I am able to use the mobile version if I do venture out. Local merchants are general cheaper than Square but only if you already have an account. And if you are starting out probably not worth the extra effort.

We have used Square for out Girl Scouts. That $1000 in free sales is wonderful. It is easy to use. Good luck with your selling!!!

FYI: If you go to Vista Print, they have ready-made business card designs you can choose from to tide you over until your son gets to designing your logo. They also have all the other accoutrements you need, like really nice banners! It's a good company to do business with, they've been around "forever" and their prices won't break the budget.

I can do better than Vista Print, Zany. I work in a print shop (been "in the biz" for over 15 years in total) and have a VERY supportive employer. Under their ownership, we also have a Fast Signs franchise. If I want business cards, brochures, table signage, banners... anything... he's told me I can have it at no charge. I have all the programs I need to design my own stuff, and have been doing so for a long time. I really do have an awesome boss, even if the pay isn't the greatest.

My temporary business cards....

Attachments

• Biz Cards_001.jpg
    Biz Cards_001.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 16
So your Boss will get some free soap ? LOL

I did the Vista print only because I know they do good work. Great prices and fast delivery. They have online Chat if there is an issue and they were FAB when I used it (on a weekend) !

I think I may do the Square. I will most likely get the chip/swipe reader that goes in the headphone jack. As secure as things are I feel better not using Bluetooth. And I don't like how the phone has to allow an app to see everything or else it won't work :(

GL !
When is your first show ?
I'm still waiting on one to get back to me

GL !
When is your first show ?
I'm still waiting on one to get back to me

It will be towards the end of June, I'm thinking. I have to wait until the beginning of the month to get the insurance (it's a budget thing). Once I have that, and my Square (which hasn't arrived yet), I should be good to go. I do have to sign up, though, by June 10.

So your Boss will get some free soap ? LOL

They do get free soap... if they want it. Along with the baking and other samples I bring it. I'm that person in the office, the one that's often bringing in food or things I've made. A while back, he had a Fast Signs team meeting here, with reps from 5 other stores. My boss put together gift bags with local information and products. I donated soap. It ended up being the most popular item in the gift bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can do better than Vista Print, Zany. I work in a print shop (been "in the biz" for over 15 years in total) and have a VERY supportive employer. Under their ownership, we also have a Fast Signs franchise. If I want business cards, brochures, table signage, banners... anything... he's told me I can have it at no charge. I have all the programs I need to design my own stuff, and have been doing so for a long time. I really do have an awesome boss, even if the pay isn't the greatest.
WooHoo.gif
Lucky you! I'm SO jealous! :D

My temporary business cards....
Cool. :cool:

@Misschief Which reader did you get ?
My show people got back to me so I am on for June 30th.
I may just get the free one and see how it goes. If it is a good fit I may upgrade to the chip reader later.

Latest posts

Back