I May Have an Opportunity to Sell

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been slowing working towards selling my soap locally. Just today, a client came in looking for business printing (I work in a print shop) and, through her, found out about a small crafter's market I wasn't aware of. She gave me the FB link to the market's page and I've made contact with the woman in charge. What I don't know is anything about taking payment. I mean, I'd prefer good hard cash but I know there are people who never carry cash. What payment options do you provide? How do you take payment at markets? Where do I even start? (If it makes any difference, I'm in Canada.)

Oh, just as an aside, I now have a name... Mission Meadows Soapery. I'm still waiting for my graphic designer (my son) to come up with a logo but he's in the middle of setting up his own business.

I use Square but I am in the US and I don't if you have it available. I assume Pay Pal still has a system for swiping. Without taking CC cards I would lose a lot of sales. Sorry I cannot help you with your answer but I am sure one of the Canadians will be of help

Hope your new market goes well for you

Square also works in Canada. You'll need either wireless internet or a cell network/data connection. You can also swipe credit cards offline, but if that card rejects later (when you're connected again) you're out that payment.

It's super easy on the swipe side though I've never set up my own account. I've always just swiped for other accounts, during some of my volunteer stints. So do look into fees.

All of that talk about swiping makes me glad chips are here now. I imagine those read much quicker and hassle free.

Cash only , in my market the ATM machine is so close to me, There is a way to pay debit also in my neighbor booth, But is mainly cash for me,

Check out square. you may want to get the extension cable so you dont' have to take your phone out if it's case. Square is actually free - you pay for it, but it gives you a credit equal in that amount when you set up your account. It does take a certain percent.

I also use Square, and it has saved me when I have almost lost a sale because someone didn't have cash, or decided that they wanted to buy five bars instead of one. There are reference codes you can get from another Square user that will give you free processing for the first $1000 (I think) in sales. I'd offer my reference link - but as other Square users have chimed in first I'll let you contact them for the link. It's also nice because you can create a library and discounts, and keep track of inventory. I use it for all of my sales, whether cash, check or cc, and then when I have to pay my taxes I can quickly look to see what my sales were. I put tax included in my prices, but there is the option to set the tax % at each transaction and collect it up front.

@cmzaha yes I know, I myself do not carry cash. But I always have some in my car in case I see a yard sale.
This will be for the time being. I just do not know which I want to use. I have an Android phone so I need to look into it.
Mainly trying to build stock right now ;)
But this is in my Bucket list of searching.

Last edited:
Out of curiousity, if you ONLY have a Swipe reader and the card has a chip, will it take the swipe?
I know stores that have the chip will not take a swipe but don't know if that is ONLY because it HAS the chip reader ?

I've used square on cards that had a chip and didn't notice anything. Besides, you can always manually key in the number. If I remember right, its a slightly higher fee if you key it in but not a deal breaker.

Today, my grandkids and I went to check out the market. I noticed that a lot of the vendors use Square. I'm not really familiar with it; how does it work? I've looked them up online but I'm not seeing a lot of detail. I have a tablet (Android), I have a cell phone (Android). Is the setup fairly easy?

Yes you can swipe a card with a chip. You can purchase the chip reader, and on the Square site it will explain the difference. Even with the security issue I went back to using the swipe instead of my chip reader. Square works fine with Android.

You can swipe with chips. However, if they dispute the charge square will not support you. I make all customers sign for credit card purchases. I would lose so many sales if I didn’t take credit and customers tend to make larger purchases. I too charge tax on credit purchases which covers the fee.

Today, my grandkids and I went to check out the market. I noticed that a lot of the vendors use Square. I'm not really familiar with it; how does it work? I've looked them up online but I'm not seeing a lot of detail. I have a tablet (Android), I have a cell phone (Android). Is the setup fairly easy?

Yes, it's very simple. You download the app, then it will ask you for some information. I think it uses your account number and the routing number from your checking account. My suggestion is to make sure to write down the password somewhere. And if you are doing a craft show, make sure to open up the app, update it if necessary, and make sure everything is working a few days before hand. What is nice is that if you have a spotty internet connection, it will hold onto your transactions until you have a good connection.

Back