I made soap, you guys!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaLeavesandTweed

Reaction score
I just wrapped up my first batch of cold process soap and put it to sleep in my "soaping" room!

I did 80% lard, 20% coconut oil, with 5% superfat/lye discount. It was really fun. I actually mixed my lye water outside to avoid fumes because it's a nice day. I melted the oils in a water bath while the lye water cooled. The coconut kind of overpowered the odor while I was melting the oils, but it smelled more piggy while I was mixing it to trace.

I got it to about a medium trace, I think (like custard/pudding) and then poured it into a silicone muffin mold. I got 10 muffins from a 1-lb. batch.

I'm kind of excited right now and can't wait to see them in a day or two to see how they come out. And then wash with them (in 6 weeks).

Yes, I'm already planning future batches...

(also, Boyfriend is sad that he came home and missed the soaps before they got wrapped up)

You'll be hooked now for sure. Looking forward to seeing photos!

Congrats! Let us know how you like that recipe.
And pics are always appreciated :)

Thanks, everyone! Pictures will certainly come, but I was too worried about safety to find my camera while making the soap. I should be calmer while unmolding, though.

I wouldn't say I'm addicted, yet, but I am planning at least 2 more batches in the near future.

Congrats! :)
Lol you think you're hooked now, wait until you get to actually use your first handmade soap.... you'll never go back... the force is strong over here on the soapy side and store bought soap never feels right after that lol...

It's always surprising that something like making soap can be so thrilling, but......it is! Looking forward to seeing yours when you unmold. :clap:

Ok, now we really are starting to sound like addicts. Quick, hush up! You'll scare the new one away! :lol:

Nope, not scared yet. I've done other crafts and totally understand the "This thing in my hand is something I MADE" feeling. But can't wait to experience it with soap.

So I can't share that my very first soap I ran around giggling and yelling 'I made soaaaaap!'?
Oh wait....

Congratulations! Yes, admit it, you are hooked! It's always an amazing thing when the men take a sort of interest, too. It' s sweet. (Mine loves Newbie's soap pics thread)

Pictures are posted in the Photo Gallery forum!

I was impatient and unmolded them after 22 hours, but they were nice and firm. Now I just need to wait...

Latest posts

Back