I made my 1st batch.....but now, I have questions about....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
My recipe!

Due to all the good advice shared here, my 1st batch of CP went without a hitch. I used the following recipe from Kathy Miller's site:

Olive Oil 12.5oz
Coconut76 8oz
Palm 6 oz
Cocoa Butter .5oz
Lye 3.6oz
Distilled H2O 8.7oz

What I would like to do is increase this odd batch size from 27 oz to a standard 32 oz.

The other thing I would like is that the soap is ok.....I guess. Not drying, but I would really like a creamier feel, more moisturizing bar.

I used this recipe because I had these items readily available. I'm ready to order other butters/oils now to make the bar what I want it to be...
Also would like to make the bar less brown :)

Any suggestions? I've looked at SoapCalc and oil properties charts until they gave me a headache ... :(

Also how much FO or EO would I add (in general) to a 32oz batch of cp?

Thanks SO much,

Dana

MMS has a calculator that will resize batches for you. Once you put in your amounts, it will tell you how much water and lye for various superfat amounts. Down at the bottom of that page is where you can then change the recipe size.

http://www.the-sage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php

FO load for soap is anywhere from .5 to 1 oz ppo. It depends on the oils and the personal preference of the soaper. Just make sure the oils are soap safe.

For less brown, you can use TD but you must watch the amount you use. It can make soap feel very chalky. Most of the time the brown or discoloration is caused by the fo. Ingredients can affect this as well. Fos high in sugar/vanilla or sweeter tend to really darken. You can get a a vanilla stabilizer to help with this. BCN carries one that from the pics I've seen of soaps with it in it, seems to work rather well in preventing your soap from turning brown. Or, when using an fo that you know will turn brown on you, you can try a blind swirl. Only scent a portion of your batch while leaving a portion unscented. Swirl together the scented and unscented portions.

To get a creamier feeling bar, you really need to just keep playing with the soap calc. Here is a sheet for you to use that will tell you what properties an oil or butter will bring to a bar. From this, you can build another recipe and plug it into the soap calc, playing around with amounts until you see numbers you think you might like. Then give the recipe a try. The numbers that the soap calc suggests are just to be used as a guideline and are not set in stone. In time, you will find what you prefer in a bar of soap, and what oils and butter you can use to get it. HTH :)

http://www.millersoap.com/fatacidtab.html

I appreciate the additional input, thank you. After playing with all the numbers and looking at all the additional ingredients I just got confused and didn't order anything....so no soaping this weekend! :(

dana

Back