I made dish soap!! That WORKS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdaniels8811

Reaction score
Not sure where I read this but someone posted somewhere about using potato water from boiling potatoes for the liquid in 100% coconut oil soap, 0% superfat, to make a grease cutting dish soap. I made some and just used it today. WOW!!

I made beeswax lotion and you know what a pain it is to clean the pots. This liquid soap cut through the grease and even left my greasy plastic bowls clean.

The picture shows the amazing amount of suds in my shiny clean lotion pot! I have made straight coconut oil soap and it has not cleaned dishes this well. The suds are still in the water a half hour later. I think this compares favorably with Dawn dishsoap!! (Note - the pan is full of suds before I rinsed, this pic is to show the lather). I did not strain the potato water, I measured the amount and ran it through a lye calculator. The liquid soap is sequestering but turned out nice and thick.

potato soap 2.jpg

That is interesting! So it works better than 100% coconut oil soap made with regular water? I wonder if you could add a small amount of potato flakes to some water, so you don't have to wait until you make potatoes? My dad is diabetic, so not a lot of potatoes in this house. *sigh*

My (current) theory on this is that the complex carbohydrates breaking down into maltose is responsible for the lasting bubbles. I am definitely going to try this. Was the potato water used for the batch, or dilution?

ETA- Easy to understand article about simple vs complex carbohydrates:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/carbs/simple-vs-complex-carbohydrates.html
I was going to say it is the sugar, lol, you just explained it better. 100% coconut soap is a fantastic cleaner on its own.

Maltose? So could one use the dried malt extract that can be used to brew beer? Heh or even "Goya" soda - which is unfermented malt. Hmm or maybe barley water for our UK soapers...

I mean, I use sugar in my dish soap, but this is interesting, very interesting.

Potato water was used for lye water, distilled water used for dilution. I had tried 100% coconut oil soap for dish washing and it was disappointing. This works much better.

Well it is known as potato soap that some of the handmade soapmakers are marketing their soaps but I don't know if it is any better /different than by just adding plain sugar.

Is it worth the boiling potato time?

Cool, congrats ! Hope one day I am experienced enough to do something like this, too :)

Interesting information, sounds like awesome soap, thanks for sharing.

I assume the potatoes were peeled before cooking to get the starchy water? I just wanted to doubble check as I am going to make 0% SF soapsticks out of coconut soap. Want to have something on hand for using on clothes that gets spots of grease on them. Hubby usually gets them on his black shirts, and I don`t want to shell out more doe on those sprays designated for spotcleaning. The added suds in your soap sounds great.

eta. I just realized you made liquid soap, but asume this would work on bar soap too.

Last edited:
Carolyn (cmzaha) warns about using soap sticks on colored fabric -- the alkaline soap can change the color. She says to test the stick first in an inconspicuous spot before using it on visible areas of the clothing. If treating spots on jeans and tee shirts, that might not be a big deal (it's not for me -- I use stain sticks too) but on a dark dress shirt ... might be a disaster. Maybe she will see this thread and share more details, cuz that's about all that stuck in my mind.

Thank you DeeAnna, apreciate the heads up! I have read something about that issue somewhere when I researched soap sticks and their uses, so I will be real carefull when testing them.

Coconut oil, KOH and potato water made the best cleaning, sudsing liquid soap I've ever made! I'm doing another batch with some leftover potato water. Love it!

Back