I made bacon grease soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend of mine cooked a few pounds of bacon and saved me the grease. "Cleaned" it once, hope it doesn't smell too much like bacon when it is done. Man, you can get a lot of grease out of bacon! 1 pound of bacon might be close to 1/2 cup "lard" which seems like a lot! Anyway, fun soaping today. I used a pressure washer to rinse my greasy soap containers so that was kinda fun and worked ok. Pressure wash, then regular wash, and by then most of the nasty grease was gone enough from the containers and tools.

Attachments

• IMG_2733.JPG
    IMG_2733.JPG
    602.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2737.JPG
    IMG_2737.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2738.JPG
    IMG_2738.JPG
    606 KB · Views: 0
Great job! I love to hear from other folks who use stuff that would otherwise go to waste.

🙋‍♀️Another grandma here who saves all her bacon grease. We mostly use it for cooking, but occasionally I have so much that it goes into the gallon zip-lock bag in the freezer where I save all the other fairly clean grease (from making pulled pork, beef roasts, steaks, etc.). When that bag gets full, I melt it all down, "clean" it with water and salt, and then make my "barnyard soap" just for family use. My last batch was almost 2lbs, which at today's prices, was well worth the minimal amount of time needed to save it up and then clean it up. It makes really nice soap!

Thats wild! Would like to see the pics of your 🥓 soap @Andy7891 😉
Here they are. I think the bacon smell is too strong to be practical for a body soap, but maybe you could clean it enough or use uncured bacon or something that wasn't so strong smelling to begin with.

Attachments

• baconsoap.JPG
    baconsoap.JPG
    871.9 KB · Views: 0
Wow, those look great! FWIW, I clean my bacon grease 2-3 times, and the first round is with a bit of baking soda, which seems to help with drawing out the smell, as well as lightening the color.

You could shred this one up and mix some of the shreds into another soap that is scented with something strong (and that goes with bacon, lol). If you use it up that way, a bit at a time, the smell shouldn't be a problem.

Wow, those look great! FWIW, I clean my bacon grease 2-3 times, and the first round is with a bit of baking soda, which seems to help with drawing out the smell, as well as lightening the color.

You could shred this one up and mix some of the shreds into another soap that is scented with something strong (and that goes with bacon, lol). If you use it up that way, a bit at a time, the smell shouldn't be a problem.
I may try that. I will not give up yet! And I am definitely on board with shredding the soap to "re-batch" it, using it as confetti, instead of trying to melt the soap, as last time I tried to melt some old soap in the crock pot it just did not go great. Great tips, thanks!!

Here they are. I think the bacon smell is too strong to be practical for a body soap, but maybe you could clean it enough or use uncured bacon or something that wasn't so strong smelling to begin with.
AWESOME! 👌

Latest posts

Back