I made an awesome Hempseed soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7053joanne

Reaction score
and lost the recipe......terrible! Am I the only one that does this? I had an epiphany and scribled it down on a piece of paper (mistake #1), made the soap, put the recipe in the pile with the other scraps that had already been put into the soap binder (mistake #2), and forgot about the soap for a couple of weeks after I cut it. I used it yesterday and I love the soap. Now can't find the recipe. I'm really annoyed with myself.

:cry: Joanne

Ive done that soooo many times, not only with soap recipes...try just not thinking about it, but kind of try to intend yourself to find it...the place will just pop into your mind sporadically and youll find it soon enough!! :)

Well tell us what you remember and let's figure out a new recipe. Do you recall how much hemp oil you used? Any of the other fats/oils?

I got some hemp oil and am about to the point where I could use a recipe myself.

I know I put olive oil in and that's about all I can remember (I have made about 15 batches of soap since). I have one more place to look tonight before I really get mad. Wish me luck. If I find it I will pass the recipe on as it is a really nice soap (not such a pretty color though)!

Joanne

I ran mandolyn's #9 "Hempsters' Haven Soap" on SoapCalc and got:

hardness 39
cleansing 20
condition 56
bubbly 31
creamy 31
iodine 78
INS 137

That's this recipe except I've rounded into even percentages:

hemp 30%
CO 30%
PO 15%
Castor 12.5%
Shea 12.5%

Joanne, I like the OO idea and I'm going to tinker a few versions using multiple copies of SoapCalc. I like the CO from the above recipe too. Well I'm off to tinker with SoapCalc...

7053joanne said:
and lost the recipe......terrible! Am I the only one that does this?

nope. I do that all the time. Last time I was making soap regularly (3 years ago) I lost everything. This time around I'm trying to be more meticulous. I've even got a "soaping notebook" to keep recipes and notes in.

PrincessMommy said:
7053joanne said:

nope. I do that all the time. Last time I was making soap regularly (3 years ago) I lost everything. This time around I'm trying to be more meticulous. I've even got a "soaping notebook" to keep recipes and notes in.

I started a notebook right away when I started soaping. One thing I've kept is a batch numbering system, so every batch is logged with the recipe & any notes. It's been invaluable to me!!!!

However, my first batch of hemp soap had the BEST scent of all my soaps EVER, but when I went to look at my notes, I hadn't put down the exact amounts of FO & EO's. That was 3 months ago & I'm still trying to hit on the right combination.:cry:

The notebook is only as good as the notetaker... :roll:

Said batch of hemp soap is one I found on the net & tweaked. Right now, I can't remember where I found it!! It's an awesome starter recipe, too. Thank Gawd my tweaked recipe is in my notebook!!!

That's what I love about the Soapmaker Software. It stores all my recipes. I print them out as a backup and keep them in a file.

I have two notebooks for soapmaking. I also keep a log of the each soap I make along with the date. I run each new recipe through SoapCalc and I write the date I make the soap at the top of the page. I also make notes on the page about that batch including cost of ingredients. That way I know what each batch costs to make.
I keep a notebook for my other bath and body products also.

mandolyn said:
PrincessMommy said:
7053joanne said:

I started a notebook right away when I started soaping. One thing I've kept is a batch numbering system, so every batch is logged with the recipe & any notes. It's been invaluable to me!!!!

However, my first batch of hemp soap had the BEST scent of all my soaps EVER, but when I went to look at my notes, I hadn't put down the exact amounts of FO & EO's. That was 3 months ago & I'm still trying to hit on the right combination.:cry:

The notebook is only as good as the notetaker... :roll:

Said batch of hemp soap is one I found on the net & tweaked. Right now, I can't remember where I found it!! It's an awesome starter recipe, too. Thank Gawd my tweaked recipe is in my notebook!!!

me toooo!!! been keeping good notes and I have a folder on my cpu dedicated to it which is VERY organized (research, recipes, websites, sourcing, good posts, etc....)

Lovehound said:

hardness 39
cleansing 20
condition 56
bubbly 31
creamy 31
iodine 78
INS 137

hemp 30%
CO 30%
PO 15%
Castor 12.5%
Shea 12.5%

Joanne, I like the OO idea and I'm going to tinker a few versions using multiple copies of SoapCalc. I like the CO from the above recipe too. Well I'm off to tinker with SoapCalc...

If you do a search for "Hempsters Haven" -- I believe you'll find a thread that somebody started a while back -- I want to say in the recipe section -- and she just raved about the soap, said it EXPLODED into lather, and then posted that site with that recipe... I've got on my "TO DO" list... if you try it Greg, let us know how it turns out!

I think one of the most frustrating things is that i HAVE a soap notebook. I was working on the fly and threw it together not sure how it would turn out since hempseed isn't something I had soaped with before. Little did I know it would be my favorite I have ever made. I was tearing apart the kitchen last night looking for it. But I have not given up hope.

Paul.....if this soap was any indication, I highly recommend the purchase and use of hempseed!

Joanne

Write it down...yes.....but more important is where you write it down....I stink! :wink:

Yeah, SoapyGal, with that Hempsters' Haven Soap having both bubbly and creamy lather at 31 I'd call that a high lather soap. I bet being a not very hard bar (39) that too probably helps get a high lather. I usually like a high lather so that Hempster's Haven might be good to go just as it is. I bet it would make a good shampoo bar too.

I've been using SoapCalc as my note taking tool. I use the additives section to document my scents, colorants or any other additives (none yet tried) and usually reserve the lower left rectangle for the batch date. I use the rectangle at bottom to describe decorating techniques or observe things like "started to seize when FO added." When my soap is in the mold I print a final clean copy for my notes. I'm intending on getting a 3-ring notebook.

Every batch gets a number, 001 for my first batch, or 021 for today's batch, having been soapmaking for less than 6 weeks so far. Honestly I'll admit that I had to go back and retro-document a few batches. :)

SoapyGal said:
Lovehound said:

hardness 39
cleansing 20
condition 56
bubbly 31
creamy 31
iodine 78
INS 137

hemp 30%
CO 30%
PO 15%
Castor 12.5%
Shea 12.5%

If you do a search for "Hempsters Haven" -- I believe you'll find a thread that somebody started a while back -- I want to say in the recipe section -- and she just raved about the soap, said it EXPLODED into lather, and then posted that site with that recipe... I've got on my "TO DO" list... if you try it Greg, let us know how it turns out!

That was me. Here's that post about my swirled hemp soap:
Here's an update on the Hemp soap. It's very mild, so even though it's just over a week old, I've been using it - washing hands only. That in itself is amazing, but then this a.m. I decided to shower with it.

I grabbed my puff, held the bar under the water & began rubbing. Holy sh*!%t!!! The thing exploaded in suds!! I mean suds were literally rolling off it in big piles. It was awesome!!!! It's also got it's scent back, so it smells sooooooooooo good!!

I left the shower all happy & smelling good.

You have to understand. I'm not a morning person. My DH will gladly tell you, "Not a morning person doesn't come near to describing my wife in the morning!!!"

So for me to step out of the shower happy is an earth-shaker!!! Laughing

Here's a link to the recipe I used, although I adjusted it for 32 oz of oils:
http://www.pinemeadows.net/recipes.php

New Message:
It's still my favorite bar of soap! :lol:

I don't know about Joanne but that recipe is very tempting. :)

Joanne if you remember any other ingredients tell us, maybe we can come up with another hemp oil recipe, then compare the two on SoapCalc.

Latest posts

Back