I made a mistake...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing you might consider in future is to weigh and label all your containers, molds, etc. So when you add up the oils, lye, water, scents, whatever, you can add that to the container or mold wt and know how much you're missing. It's saved me many times from disaster before I get to the point of frustration.

One thing you might consider in future is to weigh and label all your containers, molds, etc. So when you add up the oils, lye, water, scents, whatever, you can add that to the container or mold wt and know how much you're missing. It's saved me many times from disaster before I get to the point of frustration.

Thank you for the advice. In fact I do that, I mark everything's weight with a sharpie it has helped me a lot, but in this specific time, I believe I made a big calculation mistake from the beginning.

It helps to use a pencil to check off each item as it is added to the recipe.

Last edited:
Do really stupid things count? It was like I was soaping in I LOVE LUCY yesterday! Making shaving soap refills. Instead of Pringles cans, I bought some tubular molds. “Oh look, they even have lids!”, I think to myself. I poured BOTH of them before realizing those lids were actually the bottoms!!! What a mess!!! Won’t make that mistake twice!!!!

Do really stupid things count? It was like I was soaping in I LOVE LUCY yesterday! Making shaving soap refills. Instead of Pringles cans, I bought some tubular molds. “Oh look, they even have lids!”, I think to myself. I poured BOTH of them before realizing those lids were actually the bottoms!!! What a mess!!! Won’t make that mistake twice!!!!
:) it happens RobinRogers, it's ok.

@RobinRogers don't worry, all of us do stuff like that. And some of us have done stuff like that so often that we now double and triple check things like that before we put lye water in oil. Just to avoid yet another "learning experience". But trust me when I tell you I know exactly how long the clean up is when you forget to tape the lid on the Pringles can...twice...

:oops: Can someone stop dropping the Soap Gremlin at my house ?
out of 8 batches last night, 1 was still soft this morning. I left it in the mold.
No idea what went wrong other then I whisked this one and not SB.

:oops: Can someone stop dropping the Soap Gremlin at my house ?
out of 8 batches last night, 1 was still soft this morning. I left it in the mold.
No idea what went wrong other then I whisked this one and not SB.

Lin, when I whisk mine it takes long time to harden.

Lin, when I whisk mine it takes long time to harden.
I thought that may be it but this FO does accelerate a bit and riced a bit in the other batch just before it.
I don't think I over added oils. If I did then it was the 3 oz of Castor I doubled. And at 5% already SF batch I am not sure where that will but the SF at.......... did I tell you I don't like math ;) At 3 oz for a 4# batch that can't be too bad.
It is still sitting here out of the mold but I don't dare cut it yet.

All I have to say it ... there better be a lot of people that want colored soap with no scent

:lol: wish I could blame the gremlins but I was trying to finish before 'A Discovery of Witches' came on :cool:

All I have to say it ... there better be a lot of people that want colored soap with no scent

:lol: wish I could blame the gremlins but I was trying to finish before 'A Discovery of Witches' came on :cool:

I hope the witches were not worse than the gremlins :rolling:

Latest posts

Back