I made a Guinness soap today.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimT2au

You bet they die
Reaction score
I made Guinness soap today. I was super organised and had everything weighed out so all I had to do was pick up the container and tip it in at the right time. Unfortunately I tipped what I thought was my sodium lactate into the oil, only to realise too late it was my fragrance (bergamot). The mixture went to a medium trace very quickly so I had to move fast. I am keen to see how it looks tomorrow.

The Guinness made the batter quite dark so I had to add quite a bit of TD to the portion I put aside as to represent the head of the beer. Next time I think I would be tempted to make the Guinness batter just for the base portion and make a separate batch for the head so that it is not so dark.

Kim,

Congratulations!

Stout soap is still one of my favourites.
You are right, it is easier to get a brighter white using an alternative liquid (to the beer) to make the "head".
A little cocoa powder in the beer base, to darken it further, keeps the right colour for stout - otherwise the colour softens to a very nice dark tan during the cure.

(Cut pictures please :D)

Back