I made a boob with my lye solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoeybops

Reaction score
Hi I don’t know if I’m posting this in the right place, but I was making my soap but I accidentally got the quantity wrong for my water and mixed it with my sodium hydroxide. I realised as I was mixing it it felt like there wasn’t enough water so I made another lye solution with the correct quantity so I’m left with this lye solution that I don’t know what to do with.
I know I’m not just supposed to throw it down the sink and I can’t find anything online. Please help?!

Thank you

Zoey (I’m new 🙋‍♀️)

As long as you used at least 50% of the water you needed and the lye dissolved you can just add in the remaining water. Many of us masterbatch 50/50 lye solutions so we can use 50% other liquids such as milk adding them straight to our oils. It is is also safe to pour down drains by diluting it more, at least in the US it is and lye is an ingredient in many of our drain cleaners. Of course, I do not know the laws in Scotland. Technically lye isn't poison it is caustic.

If you know how much lye you used and the weight of the container (and any other additives you may have added), you should be able to weigh the whole shebang, subtract the lye and container weight (additives also if used), and that will tell you how much water you used. You could then add the missing water and still use the solution.

Back