I love Lard Soap...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im also going 2 try a lard/coconut soap sometime today. im pretty much out of olive oil so this would be a good recipe!

TheSoapyEwe said:
I usually use 70% Lard, 25% Coconut Oil, 5% Castor Oil:)

i just tried this recipe about 10 minutes ago. it traced REALLY quick within a few minutes. after that happened i couldn't use my electric mixer anymore it was so thick!

one thing i noticed is the lard smell was somewhat noticeable when i smelled it after i put it in the mold. is this going to go away? i even added a little vanilla and pumpkin spice powder to see if it would neutralize the smell, but it didnt really do much.

ps. i used lard i bought at walmart.

I never have problems with stinky lard soap and everyone else has said that the smell goes away, so don't worry. I'm surprised at such a fast trace. What temp did you soap at Chris? :wink:

I gave a box of soaps to my sisters with various recipes and one that was mostly Tallow. I asked them which soap they liked the best as they had no idea about what was in the different bars and they both said #8 batch, sure enough the Tallow soap. Their collective top lips were seen to visibly curl up when I told them what was in it, I will have to use a little trickery and deception on them in future. Steve :D

chris21908 said:
TheSoapyEwe said:
I usually use 70% Lard, 25% Coconut Oil, 5% Castor Oil:)

i just tried this recipe about 10 minutes ago. it traced REALLY quick within a few minutes. after that happened i couldn't use my electric mixer anymore it was so thick!

one thing i noticed is the lard smell was somewhat noticeable when i smelled it after i put it in the mold. is this going to go away? i even added a little vanilla and pumpkin spice powder to see if it would neutralize the smell, but it didnt really do much.

ps. i used lard i bought at walmart.

I use Lard from Columbus foods, it is really white and not much smell at all if any.

I have some unscented soap that I made with Walmart lard, and unfortunatly, you can still smell the lard. BUT, its a great soap for those who want just a plain lard soap.

Bubbles Galore said:
I never have problems with stinky lard soap and everyone else has said that the smell goes away, so don't worry. I'm surprised at such a fast trace. What temp did you soap at Chris? :wink:

i soaped at 100 degrees. well the small is not strong but i just don't wanna smell like lard when i use the soap :)

jadiebugs1 said:
alwaysme07 said:
I love lard soaps! There is only one I really like without lard and that one is salt soap. :D

I just recently tried making my salt soap using lard in place of the shea butter. Figured they lend similar qualities, would slow down trace (yep, I actually got to POUR the soap in the molds instead of glopping this time!) and definetely be cheaper.

So far the differences I've noticed include it required a little longer to unmold, didn't crumble as much as the shea type, had a bit of a piggy smell to it it's first few days of curing, and is not getting as hard as fast.

Now, about a week after cutting....I don't really smell the piggy anymore, it's getting a little harder and turning out rather nicely.

My daughter and I have recently been using nothing on our faces except the salt soap made with shea butter.....I'm thinking (and hoping) that this is actually going to work out nicely with the lard.

And as for the cheap price of lard??? I've noticed at Wal-Mart, it's not that much cheaper than other oils and shortenings. It's starting to get a bit pricey too. (I so wish I would have grabbed a bucket or two when it was on sale at Wal-Mart about a year ago....$18 for a 5 gal. bucket!!!)

Well, I wanted to update here, a few weeks down the road. The Lard in the salt soap worked as far as a usable/sellable bar of soap. However, I do not like it as much as the one with the shea butter. I used a different FO than I usually use also, so that might be part of it too. But I also noticed that my face broke out after a few days of using it. (Could have been other factors there, but I didn't do anything purposefully different). I still used it on the rest of my body, and it still felt good...but I'll have to stick to the shea butter in the bar from now on. I think I might also do another test batch using the exact same recipe as the one with the shea, including the same FO...then note any differences.

Has anyone else tried this?? (Using a bit of lard in a salt bar recipe)

I used it in a sugar bar the other day. I love it and won't give it up for anything! Lard/castor oil is one of my base recipies (I have 3 tried and true that I add things to as my imagination wanders.

Its my best seller and by far my favorite. Havent used lotion since I started using making it. I do use 1tsp/ppo in the lye water for hardness though not sure why as it does make a wonderfully hard soap. Mom won't use anything but the unscented. I haven't tried a salt bar with it, yet. Its on the list after the Christmas rush is over, probably the week in between Christmas & New Years.

I can't wait till 'the christmas rush' is over either. I'm almost sold out of CP soaps, but I can't make anymore that would be sellable this year anyway. So I have to stick with the MP....and lots of it.

Next year I'll be more prepared. :wink: So January and February I'm gonna call my "soap making months" ! (then again in may & june and again in sept. and oct......lol)

You COULD do crockpot :D - but even thats pushing it for Christmas. I like even my crockpot soaps to cure for at least 4 weeks. I figure if I get a special order between now and then I'll do it with the idea that it would be, more than likely, a week or two before it would actually get used. If not, they're good even at unmolding stage. And the latest date I'm willing to do a special order is the 10th with delivery on the 23rd.

Latest posts

Back