I love Lard Soap...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic1963

Reaction score
Of all the recipes I have tried the last month or so..., still the best feeling on my skin is the one I made with Lard and a little coconut oil.

Hubby likes the soybean wax soap...but it gets you a little to clean...if you know what I mean. Like you almost squeek when you rub your hands together......hahah.

I like how the Lard soap leaves my skin feeling, and It is so gentle that I can wash my face with it and it leaves it feeling soft. I have very sensitive skin on my face so that is saying alot.

It is unscented.......and I don't really even smell the lard. It hardly has a smell at all , and its a hard white bar...which I like also.

But are other people put off by the word " Lard" when they go to buy soap ?

Well it depends. I am not, my friends aren't. But we aren't vegan or vegetarian.

So vegan or vegetarian people won't like lard in soap. But there are some carnivores who can't imagine putting animal fat on their body.

I love my lard soaps too, they do make your skin feel wonderful!
I also have a Crisco based soap I make for all the vegans out there and it too leaves your skin feeling wonderful!

I personally think that most people expect to see lard or tallow as an ingredient in handmade soaps. They are so familiar with soap from the old days and know that it was used to be made with lard.
I have in fact had a few customers ask about my soaps with no lard, they wanted to know where the lard was....LOL

I am not at all put off about lard in soap! :D

As a matter of fact I made my first batch of lard soap yesterday! I did lard and CO. I had heard that it was a great soap, so once I try it myself, I plan on making more for family and friends to try....

Can I ask how much CO that you put in your Lard Soap ?

I did 75% Lard 25% CO

I'm glad to see that people like lard soap! I made my first batch last week for my mom. She can't use any soap or beauty product with natural ingredients since it interferes with her medication. (And she's a former soaper!) So I thought I'd give it a try--I hate seeing her have to use commercial junk!

She was a little hesitant about it, having heard stories of "lard soap" (with old-fashioned lye) that would "clean", i.e., strip off anything, including the top layer of skin!

My newest fav recipe has 15% Lard in it!
I don't know anyone who is apposed to Lard in their soap except those that are vegan.

I'm definitely with the lard and beef tallow is even better.
I plan to have lard/tallow in all my recipes and only one soap all-vegetable, because let's face it: ya don't see many vegans in Mississippi!--I'll make an (inferior) all-vegetable soap for the few I run into.

Have only tried lard once in a recipe and it thickened very quickly. Is this normal?

Thanks!

I love lard soaps

Lard is usually very slow to trace so it might have been something else in the soap recipe...an FO perhaps. I find that if I soap warm, my lard batch will trace faster than if I soap my usual RT. My lard soaps are made with CO and OO as well as the lard. When I add Shea butter, I get a faster trace also. :D

I am getting ready to do a lard/coconut soap tonight. Glad to hear you love it, I initially wanted to stay vegan. But, I decided I really want to try the lard soap. Wish me luck ;)

Good luck! I love all of my soaps with lard and tallow in, and also a mixture of animal and vegetable fats, like coconut oil and sunflower oil.

I did a lard and coconut oil soap the day before yesterday. (80/20). It took ages to trace, maybe 3 hours, although I was just stirring it by hand, and it is still a bit soft for cutting 50 hours later.

The three all-veg soaps I have made have been slightly disappointing for various reasons, although they are all perfectly usable.

A coconut oil and cocoa butter soap has got lots of ash, not just on the surface.

One with a high proportion of almond oil in as well as other oils including coconut oil feels lovely on the skin but needs extra care by the sink, gets gummy easily.

My olive oil and coconut oil 75/25 also gets gummy if allowed to stay wet.

So in future if I make more soap I will stick to recipes with at least a proportion of tallow or lard.

I am lard soap lover too . There is nothing I have tried that makes a bar of soap like lard does . Lard Soap Rocks !!

Kitn

Again a similar story didn't like the thought of it, but well I eat meat and wear leather..... and once I tried at 25% my fave soap so far, everything I have made before and after doesn't even come close, my dry red flaky skin on my face has gone and I can't stop using it now. Only one problem what do I do with all the other soap! Ha Ha, I will just have to give them to my veggie pals!

Lard soap is my favorite. I do 50% lard, 23.5% cocnut oil, 23.5% olive oil and 3% castor. Tried and true, never fails! Make a really hard bar and feels great!

my favorite recipe is a high percent of lard too. it is my favorite base oil and then i throw in a couple different ones.

Count me in with lard!!! It makes for a nice, creamy, hard white bar. Really, I do prefer it to palm, and I am a former vegan myself.

A soap made with lard is a soap made with lurve...lol

Big lard soap lover here too! When I first started soaping way back when I used only veggie oils, but once I tried lard soaps I couldn't give it up! I generally use 50-60%, and sometimes higher for bastile soap.

Latest posts

Back