I know this is Lame - can someone help? Chelator - Right Stuff?

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Clarice

We are one...
Reaction score
BUMP: I see 53 of you lovely folks have peeked at this - but no one has answered - maybe because it should be painfully obvious to me! Despite my lameness - could someone give me a YUP or NOPE to whether this is used as a chelator?

I read the thread on making my own sodium citrate and decided to cop out and see if I could just straight up buy it!

Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 08.18.53.png

Last edited:

Clarice

We are one...
Reaction score
Do you have something against Tetrasodium EDTA as a chelator? That's what most of us use, I think.
Hi Susie - thank you - not necessarily - but I have heard that sodium citrate is a bit "crunchier" to quote @IrishLass I think! A bit more "natural"? So i thought I would start there! no rationale other than it sounded good to me! What are your thoughts?

@dibbles - - thank you! Ordering now!

I so appreciate all your help everyone!

Reaction score
Hi Susie - thank you - not necessarily - but I have heard that sodium citrate is a bit "crunchier" to quote @IrishLass I think! A bit more "natural"? So i thought I would start there! no rationale other than it sounded good to me! What are your thoughts?

@dibbles - - thank you! Ordering now!

I so appreciate all your help everyone!
EDTA, created in 1935, is a persistant organic pollutant (or POP).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistent_organic_pollutant

EDTA is not biodegradeable, is fossil-fuel based, is resistant to removal in sewerage treatment, is able to mobilize heavy metals in the environment and is toxic to aquatic life ... definitely not "crunchy"

There is a modern, functionally superior, alternative available:
GLDA
The L form of Tetrasodium glutamate diacetate, or GLDA, is based on renewable materials (fermented sugar) and is readily biodegradeable.
(It is also being researched for use as a micronutrient)

GLDA is sold under the trade names of Dissolvine-GL and BioPure GLDA
https://chelates.nouryon.com/products/dissolvine/dissolvine-gl/
https://www.jarchem.com/portfolio/biopure-glda/
http://www.subsport.eu/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/AkzoNobel_Gl_Technical_brochure_tcm108-40030.pdf

penelopejane

Reaction score
Yes I do.
Use 1% CA = 10g per 1000g oils
10 g citric acid neutralizes 6.24 g NaOH.
So if 1% 1700 (my batch oils) = 17g
17g CA x 6.24/10=11g of extra NaOH

Once you have your recipe size that you regularly use it is pretty easy.
I have all my recipes on excel sheets - so you just have to do the maths once.
I print one off when I want to make it and follow the instructions.

Beatrice

Reaction score
I use the hot process method, and add citric acid at the end of the cook at .01 oz per pound of oils.

Terri E

"Tucked away in the mountains"
Reaction score
BUMP: I see 53 of you lovely folks have peeked at this - but no one has answered - maybe because it should be painfully obvious to me! Despite my lameness - could someone give me a YUP or NOPE to whether this is used as a chelator?

I read the thread on making my own sodium citrate and decided to cop out and see if I could just straight up buy it!

View attachment 37064

Perfect! Exactly what I have used for years. Don't care to use EDTA in my handmade soap.

KimT2au

You bet they die
Reaction score
Thank you @KimT2au is that your pup in your avatar? Love it!

Hi @Clarice , yes that was Pixie, my first rescue greyhound. She loved going out for ice cream, a treat she only got once or twice a year but she really loved ice cream. Unfortunately we lost her last year to bone cancer. We were not even aware there was a problem until she was running down the driveway one day and her leg snapped. We miss Pix very much. It is due to her that as a family we have all become heavily involved in greyhound rescue. Thank you once again @Clarice for commenting on Pix, you have no idea how much that means to me.

Clarice

We are one...
Reaction score
@KimT2au I am so sorry - that sounds horribly painful for her and so scary for you. I have friends that rescue greyhounds - I had no idea what gentle souls they are, and how calm!

I think it is great that you keep Pixie as your avatar - she looks like she had a happy soul!

Latest posts