I just need a lot of help. (HT, technique, etc.)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scar88

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to candle making and I'm sure this question has been asked a million times. I just can't figure out my situation. I bought this wax on Amazon. I'm currently using fragrance oils that I bought at Michaels. The instructions on my wax say to melt it to 160 and then add fragrance oil and cool to 115 and then pour. This seems like really low compared to what a lot of people are doing-I've seen a lot of people say they add the FO at 180-190. Also, my fragrance oil box directions say to add 0.5 fl oz of oil to 1 pound of wax. But most of what I see online say 1 oz per 1 pound of wax. So I need to add more FO for sure.

So I have two questions. 1) Why is there so much difference in the temperatures compared to what my wax directions are and what I read online for other soy wax users? 2)Is there a way to remelt the wax that did not have enough oil and add more oil and repour? Or will this not help and just waste more product? Is this FO just junk? Also, I have read that some candles need to sit for a couple weeks before having much of a HT. I burned mine after about 24 hours.

Also, is a double boiler essential? I just used an old non stick pan on low heat-but maybe I'm doing it ALL wrong.

So I need a lot of help. 🥺

I should also add that everything else looks great with my candles. The wax melted and hardened fine and it has a great CT.

I'm no expert, but here are my opinions.
If your candle is working - melting edge to edge, etc, then keep doing what you are doing!

I think the temps are very dependent on the TYPE of wax. Soywax vs paraffin vs beeswax etc.

Double boiler - I think the purpose of that is to make sure you don't burn the wax. A lot of people (me included) have a dedicated wax melting pot/vessel, just b/c wax is a PITA to clean up. I have this:
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...MIvM6X3pvT7AIVDY_ICh3ZCw30EAQYASABEgIlLfD_BwE
Once it cools, I put the whole think in a ziplock bag so no dust gets in it. I squeegee out as much wax as possible with a silicone spatula, but i don't attempt to wash my wax melter.

There is a point where the "fragrance load" is too much and the candle won't wick properly. It varies from fragrance to fragrance. I use 1 oz per pound of wax, per the instructions from my local candle supply store. So far it's worked great for me.

I'm no expert, but here are my opinions.
If your candle is working - melting edge to edge, etc, then keep doing what you are doing!

I think the temps are very dependent on the TYPE of wax. Soywax vs paraffin vs beeswax etc.

Double boiler - I think the purpose of that is to make sure you don't burn the wax. A lot of people (me included) have a dedicated wax melting pot/vessel, just b/c wax is a PITA to clean up. I have this:
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...MIvM6X3pvT7AIVDY_ICh3ZCw30EAQYASABEgIlLfD_BwE
Once it cools, I put the whole think in a ziplock bag so no dust gets in it. I squeegee out as much wax as possible with a silicone spatula, but i don't attempt to wash my wax melter.

There is a point where the "fragrance load" is too much and the candle won't wick properly. It varies from fragrance to fragrance. I use 1 oz per pound of wax, per the instructions from my local candle supply store. So far it's worked great for me.

Thanks for your reply!

I forgot to link what soy I am using- this is the link Amazon.com: American Soy Organics Millennium Wax - 10 lb Bag of Natural Soy Wax for Candle Making

I just redid a small batch and a glass bowl on a pan and found it easier for clean up but I did have trouble getting it up past a certain temp. It was taking forever so I decided to just go up to 174 (instead of trying the 185 like I was going to do) We will see how it goes!

Back