I just have to share...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Meet my new Friend!! I traded 4 Neons and overnight shipping both directions for this 2-year-old Electric Blue or Lygodactylus williamsi. These are critically endangered geckos from Tanzania due to loss of habitat and over-collection for the pet trade. It is now illegal to collect these guys in the wild. In some states, you have to be registered with cities to own them and prove they have been captive-bred. When I move and have my reptile house I plan to breed them. I am still working on a name for him.

20220722_192438[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Meet my new Friend!! I traded 4 Neons and overnight shipping both directions for this 2-year-old Electric Blue or Lygodactylus williamsi. These are critically endangered geckos from Tanzania due to loss of habitat and over-collection for the pet trade. It is now illegal to collect these guys in the wild. In some states, you have to be registered with cities to own them and prove they have been captive-bred. When I move and have my reptile house I plan to breed them. I am still working on a name for him.
He’s marvelous!

Carolyn while he is very pretty, I feel sad they are even in captivity because of the over collection for the pet trade. The fact that you have to be registered with cites to own them says it all.

Carolyn while he is very pretty, I feel sad they are even in captivity because of the over collection for the pet trade. The fact that you have to be registered with cites to own them says it all.
Captive breeding is the only way this species is now thriving. The Bronx Zoo in New York has a large active breeding program going on working closely with Tanzania trying to save this species. They are from an area that is only a few sq ft and leave in a screw palm that people cut down to get to the little guys. There is a reserve but they still have problems with the illegal harvesting of these little fellows. Plus they are a bit tough to breed so only breeders such as us will be able to keep this beautiful little species going. At least he can live out a happy life in a controlled environment, is well fed with no predators, and will eventually have a girlfriend to keep him busy. :p

EDA: My little fellow came from a Cities registered breeder as will my future female, since I plan on starting a breeding program for these beautiful little ones. I will register with Cities if I am required to where I am moving.

Last edited:
He's beautiful! And I took the liberty of making the photo full size he can be seen in all his glory much better.

Captive breeding is the only way this species is now thriving. The Bronx Zoo in New York has a large active breeding program going on working closely with Tanzania trying to save this species. They are from an area that is only a few sq ft and leave in a screw palm that people cut down to get to the little guys. There is a reserve but they still have problems with the illegal harvesting of these little fellows. Plus they are a bit tough to breed so only breeders such as us will be able to keep this beautiful little species going. At least he can live out a happy life in a controlled environment, is well fed with no predators, and will eventually have a girlfriend to keep him busy. :p

EDA: My little fellow came from a Cities registered breeder as will my future female, since I plan on starting a breeding program for these beautiful little ones. I will register with Cities if I am required to where I am moving.
I think I remember seeing something about the Bronx Zoo's breeding program on an episode of The Zoo. That's a great show if you've never watched it.

He sure is a pretty guy!

So beautiful! I'm sure he will fit in nicely with your wonderful wooden giraffes! Where are you moving to?

Back