I just don't know!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie2this

Reaction score
I have made a few candles and everytime, when I pour, rings are formed around the glass. I just dont know if it's something I'm doing wrong like temp, pouring or if it's the glasses aren't clean enough. I'm wiping the glasses with a clean tea towel. Can anyone help? I have attached a picture to show what I mean.

20200518_213850.jpg

I have made a few candles and everytime, when I pour, rings are formed around the glass. I just dont know if it's something I'm doing wrong like temp, pouring or if it's the glasses aren't clean enough. I'm wiping the glasses with a clean tea towel. Can anyone help? I have attached a picture to show what I mean.
Those are wetspots. Fairly typical in container candles. It's an aesthetic problem only, will not affect the way it burns at all. As @lsg said, you can try preheating your jars, however, once the candle cools, ages, or changes atmospheres, the wetspots will most likely return.
Early on, I used to worry about them, but you will find, that literally the only person that cares or ever really registers that they are there, is the candlemaker. Consumers or people who use the candle, will never think twice about them. Once I realized that it's just a part of candlemaking I stopped worrying about it, and ignore them.

someone gave me the tip to heat my jars and then wrap them in aluminum foil. It keeps my jars warm and the wax cools slower not leaving imperfections.

I use slightly different terminology but the thoughts are the same. Those are jump lines. It looks like you are using paraffin. Every time the warm paraffin hits the cool glass while pouring you will get that line.

As Cosmo71 said you can keep the jar warmer longer or as jcandleattic said you can just ignore them. Or as ISG said you can pre-heat. I don't like them either so I hit my glass with a heat gun to warm before pouring the wax. Or you can put the glass in the oven on low before you pour. If you pre-heat I promise you will not get jumplines.

HTH :)
Lyschel

Back