I haven`t done this in awhile, but I want answers.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Okay, I have attempted swirls a number of times now and have not come even close to making anything presentable. I am pretty happy with my soap quality but now but I want interesting dammit. If you would be so kind, how do I get the swirl to work. I have both bar and log molds and all I`ve ever gotten, no matter the recipe, is blobs.
GUYS AGAINST BLOBBING
You twitter I blob, it sucks.
Thank you.

I agree, i have tried and gotten "some" swirls, but not like any of the pics i see! Are you pouring from higher up and using a stick to break it up? Someone help us!!!

I pour my soap at no more than med. trace. Too thick and the soap that you pour will not sink to the bottom.
I use a flat mold.
I pour three long stripes of colored soap evenly spaced down the mold.
I then take something small, for example, a small wooden spoon....the end of which is the size of my pinky finger. Then starting in the corner nearest you, begin making continues flowing figure 8's.
I usually only do this one time down the mold. You can swirl too much.
If it is a large mold you may want to zig zag across once....not too close.
Does this make sense?
I have gotten really pretty swirls this way.

Jeremy said:
GUYS AGAINST BLOBBING
You twitter I blob, it sucks.
Thank you.

Guys against blobbing, I think girls should be allowed in the group too.:wink:
I don't twitter , I would rather blob :D

Kitn

The key to swirling is separating out early on. The second key is being ready to go so that if your soap decides it wants to misbehave, you can move at super speed. Here's how I set my kitchen up; you can't see in the deep bowls, but I have my colorants pre-mixed and everything's ready to go.

20090213_2.jpg

I soap at close to room temp. I heat my batch of homogenized oils and then let them cool off, lye too. Add you lye to your oils like normal; if your FO behaves, add it after mixing the soap batter a bit. DO NOT USE A STICK BLENDER, just your wire whisk!! Your recipe will trace way too fast. I think people have problems with swirling primarily because they don't know when to separate out. This picture should help; look where the flash of the camera is; there's an oily looking layer; this is the earliest stage of trace, that oily layer is actually the beginnings of soap.

20090213_5.jpg

Now start pulling your soap batter out to color. For my mold and the way I like swirls, I do about a ladel full or so; max 2. Put it into your bowls; I hit the bowls with 2 pulses of the SB and then stir about. Rinse off in between colors. Now you're done mixing all your soap batter; hit the base with a few pulses of the SB to make sure it's all good. I do a combination ITP and controlled surface swirl; this ensures that I get color throughout and also get the nice pretty details on the top. ITP swirls are super easy; pour from various heights around your pot then you can either stir once around the pot, or let the movement of the batter do the work. Don't pour all of your batter into the pot, save some for the suface swirl. This is how my soap looks at this point:

20090213_13.jpg

Now, you're ready to do a surface swirl. Wait a few minutes until the soap in the mold is at a light-medium trace. You want the soap batter to stay on the top, but if the batter is too thickly traced, you won't be able swirl. You can either just pour the batter onto the top, like shown below, or pipe it on their with anything from a plastic baggie to a mustard bottle. When you pour it on, you get more bold swirls. Piping results in a nice and fine, kinda delicate swirl. This batch I poured.

20090213_14.jpg

Now you go to town with your skewer, toothpick, whatever you've chosen. In this particular batch, you can see that the green was a little more thickly traced than I would have liked; it didn't blend as well. I'll also attach a few other pictures; the green and white soap had the batter piped on there hence the finer swirl.

20090213_16.jpg

Piping on the mold looks like this:

Reginas2.jpg

The bottom line is that you have to separate out early on; I have plenty of time; never had to rush. The other thing is that you need to know how your FO behaves. If it's a dream to soap with, add it to your oils right off the bat; if not, you need to scent each color and the base. Since I figured out when to separate; I've not had a batch rice, seize, or anything. It just takes some practice and patience.

BeachGurl, you are now my new best friend. Thank you soooooo much for posting the tut with PICTURES!!!!! The oily part on top of the soap now makes sense to me. You're awesome.

I don't know about most soapers, but I am a visual learner. This swirl tutorial is stellar info! Just one question and I do need to do more homework, but does ITP mean in the pot? And if so, does that mean you are actually creating the swirl by starting out pouring the different colors in the pot and letting the pouring of the batter to swirl further? This is what I envision.

Yes, ITP is in the pot. There are two ways that I do ITP. 1) I pour the different colors in from various heights and then stir around the pot once and pour into the mold or 2) I just pour in from various heights and dump into the mold letting the movement of the soap do the work. Either way I get nice results.

Thanks for the pictorial! Perhaps, this could also be included in the tutorial section. It is very helpful. :)

Jude

Need a little more info.. so do you mix each batch seperatly? or do you mix it all together then seperate and color and scent each one seperatly? I would think that making them all serperatly would be easier because then you let each of them set for however long... BUT i'm not for sure..

Right on, this helps. I can see by the pics beachgurl that you are using a much lighter trace than I have been using. I have always worried if I left too light of a trace that my solution would seperate. But I am getting bolder, and my thinking was that ITP would just create more blobs , now I know better. Off to re-attempt swirling. If it works, pictures I shall post.

I think I followed your directions on my Mantra Swirl with the exception of using the stickblender after separating the colors out, and I think I am paying for it. I don't think the EO blended in well enough. I put pics in the photo gallery if u want to see. But other than that, it went much better than I have experienced before! Hopefully, a little more practice will pay off!

I got those bowls at a yard sale !!

Godiva, I mix for a few minutes with my whisk, pull the batter out like shown, and then hit everything with a SB before going to town and haven't had problems. It truly is a learning process; I was queen of soap on a stick until I figured out when to separate. Just keep trying and all of a sudden, you'll get it. I tried for over a year until I figured it all out. Just be patient with yourself.

Latest posts

Back