I have fallen..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked these up, and I'm kind of glad they're so expensive! šŸ¤£
In school my art teacher was a graphic designer rather than a fine artist, and I got really into making posters and other such things with vinyl that I cut by hand with a scalpel. Also I'm a sucker for gadgets too, so this thing is definitely calling to me!
*Must be strong*
Yes they are but I had been saving up for something else for almost a year in then changed course lol. I got mine during a sale so it was a little bit cheaper in my company has a discount program so I got some cash back on mine. You could also check eBay or something for somebody who is selling theirs which should reduce the price quite a bit.

Oh pooh! Forget that! "Must be good to one's self" is a much better way to make it through LIFE -- such as it is these days. ;)
I'm being good to myself by saving my hobby budget for things I'm going to buy regardless - like fancy oils and fragrances - rather than another machine that will live under the bed 364 days of the year šŸ˜

Smack Laugh.gif

I'm being good to myself by saving my hobby budget for things I'm going to buy regardless - like fancy oils and fragrances - rather than another machine that will live under the bed 364 days of the year šŸ˜
Oh no... I just discovered that they're a lot more useful than I thought...

I was footling around the internet looking for designs to use for silicone moulding, which led me to stencils, which led me to -

https://www.dreamalittlebigger.com/...rials-you-can-cut-with-your-cricut-maker.html
Wood?! And fabric?! I can feel my resolve getting weaker.

Argh and I just realised you could make pull through tools with it šŸ¤Æ

Oh no... I just discovered that they're a lot more useful than I thought...

I was footling around the internet looking for designs to use for silicone moulding, which led me to stencils, which led me to -

https://www.dreamalittlebigger.com/...rials-you-can-cut-with-your-cricut-maker.html
Wood?! And fabric?! I can feel my resolve getting weaker.

Argh and I just realised you could make pull through tools with it šŸ¤Æ
Yeah, and you can engrave metal and acrylic too. Thats with the Maker. Im actually going to try making an impression mat with silicone. Maybe magnets too.

I made textured, multi-layered business cards too

I'm following this thread for sure. My daughter has been looking at the explore air(I think that is the one). I can see that it might be great for my future if I invest in the machine and she makes stuff for me in return. Right now she and our grandson (and the grand doggies) are living with us due to a fire in their garage last year, which rendered their house unlivable. But once she is back in the house and can reclaim her craft room I know her and it won't be long before she gets one...with or without my help! Her head is always filled with ideas and I'm sure that she can figure out more stuff that I need than I can! But impression mats and pull through "toys" can be put on my list for sure.

Sooo I helped my 21 yr old daughter get an explore air 2, she got it this morning and not only caught on faster but is handling the vinyl better than me. lol Of course, I did get her some of the better than cricut vinyl. its cheaper and much easier to use.
So what is "better than cricut vinyl? That was one of the things that my daughter was complaining about...the expense of cricut supplies.

So what is "better than cricut vinyl? That was one of the things that my daughter was complaining about...the expense of cricut supplies.
Not to mention the cricut vinyl is harder to use. My vinyl of choice is Starcraft. It's 65 cents per 12x12 sheet which works out less than half the price of cricut vinyl. You can also find cutting mats on amazon cheaper. The brand is NICAPA and 3 mats run $13 instead of $33.

Dollartree has dental tools for $1 that work great for weeding vinyl and clear contact paper to use as transfer tape.

A good site for the vinyl is 143Vinyl good variety and prices

Last edited:
Not to mention the cricut vinyl is harder to use. My vinyl of choice is Starcraft. It's 65 cents per 12x12 sheet which works out less than half the price of cricut vinyl. You can also find cutting mats on amazon cheaper. The brand is NICAPA and 3 mats run $13 instead of $33.

Dollartree has dental tools for $1 that work great for weeding vinyl and clear contact paper to use as transfer tape.

A good site for the vinyl is 143Vinyl good variety and prices
Thanks for the info. Looks like this will have to go on my list for her.

You know, the Cricut can cut quilt squares right? I think the Maker is better at it with its rotary blade but the explore air 2 can do it with the bonded fabric blade.
There are several models that will cut quilt squares/shapes. I rarely cut out a quilt with the same shapes over and over again, so always felt it wasn't worth the money to invest in one...it would be hiding under my bed more than on my work table. However, IF I invested in a model for my daughter to use, I would certainly be able to use it from time to time and then I wouldn't have to store it!

Back