I have DOS on my first batch I did on April 30th..??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lioness

Reaction score
I need to be reminded what causes the DOS again I have forgotten. (Dreaded orange spots) I am seeing them on my first batch I did in April so I want to make sure i don't make those mistakes again....
it was a recipe from a book...smart soap making...

olive 298g
coconut 298g
shea 255g
lye 119g
water 227g

I know that I got a partial gel with this batch and I had a few bubbles but what would cause the DOS? Oh and I never used any fragrance and the two went together at a temp of about 100 degrees....thanks

I'm not sure about that.. somewhere on here I saw pics of that Orange spots.. that's not what they said it was.. can you post pics... and I'll look for the post.

I hope to see peoples replies I have made that recipe a dozen times since January when I started soaping and the batches have been fine.

The only guess i would have is that your oil was a bit rancid when you started. Or maybe it was to humid where you cured?

But I wonder what a more experienced soaper would say.

That formula should not be particularly DOS prone. Olive oil can be problematic but if it's reasonably fresh you should be fine.

DOS is promoted by hot and/or high humidity storage conditions for your soap - humidity seems to be more of an issue. Sometimes soaping with hard water can cause problems, depending on what metals are in your water. Using cheap utensils can cause issues too. And old oils that are on the cusp of rancidity (or already there). Some EOs or colorants seem to cause problems for some people, as well.

So did you add anything to the soap? Like botanicals or honey? How did you store it? Was your olive oil ancient? Did it overheat in the mold? What FO did you use (if any?)

HI everyone it was my first batch so I didn't want to add anything. I followed the instructions in the book really well but maybe I insulated it too much because I used two big towels on the mold. I never saw anything on the soaps until almost 5 or 6 weeks later. The oils were all fresh from the supplier as I had just bought everything for the first time and I have since used the oils and made other batches that are still all fine. The bars are without a scent but I do believe that they have gone slightly rancid because I can smell a slight rancid smell. I use to work in cosmetics for many years so I have a pretty good nose for knowing when a cream or product has gone bad. The only other thing that I could think of is that the olive oil that I bought from the supplier was already bad. It was a small bottle so its already long gone but how could one tell with an oil does it smell bad too? thanks everyone for your responses. I used the bars before I noticed the spots and they were fine. I stored and cured them in my basement bedroom on a drying rack with parchment paper underneath so I don't believe it was because of where it was stored either.
This might just be one of those mysteries that go unsolved.......hmmmmm

The only thing I can offer is that I once placed a batch of white soap very close to a window and it began to get orange/brown spots after a while. I thought it was DOS for a bit but then I realized other bars from the same batch were fine... these were stored elsewhere and to this day are still fine. There was no rancid smell so I can only guess it was a light thing that reacted to something and caused a discoloration.

I guess I've been lucky in the DOS arena. I've never had bars develop them. I cure in my basement, with a dehumidifier running. There are several small basement windows, so there's light, but not much, and it doesn't shine on the bars.

From what I've read about DOS, it's a matter of which oils (saturated/unsaturated)you use, drying conditions and light.

Just thought I'd share what seems to have worked for me.

xyxoxy said:
The only thing I can offer is that I once placed a batch of white soap very close to a window and it began to get orange/brown spots after a while. I thought it was DOS for a bit but then I realized other bars from the same batch were fine... these were stored elsewhere and to this day are still fine. There was no rancid smell so I can only guess it was a light thing that reacted to something and caused a discoloration.

I have some discolored ones just like this, uncolored, unscented soap that turned orangish around the edge. They do not smell at all and I don't believe it's dos, just from sun or storage.

Back