I have an idea

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First... mods, I'm not quite sure where to post this because it involves both cold process soap and m&p. If you think it should be moved, please, feel free.

So... I want to combine cp soap with some m&p. (I've never worked with m&p) Basically the m&p will be a layer on the top (or bottom, as the case may be) of the cp soap. Would it be best to pour the m&p on the top of the freshly poured cp soap batter? Or should I wait for the cp soap has set a bit or after it has finished saponifying? Or, this is another option, should I pour the m&p into the mold first, wait for it to solidify and then pour my cp batter?

I've been doing some research but haven't really found a satisfactory answer. Any insight from you more experienced soapers?

I have poured m&p between cp soap layers before spraying each layer with alcohol just like you do when pouring m&p. When I have poured a layered cp with m&p I just wait for the cp to set up enough to hold the mp. Do keep in mind, if you use a wire cutter you will not be able to cut a soap layered with m&p. Same as you cannot cut m&p with a wire cutter

I've done MP inserts into CP soap. You can place them anywhere, at any time in the pouring process, as long as the CP is traced enough to support them.

At the bottom or in the middle, gelling will tend to melt the MP. For an insert, that's not much of a problem as it'll tend to hold its shape, although multicolor or layered MP will remix and the colors will change.

Up top, the base of the MP may melt, and irregular shapes can slump or puddle in too much heat. With even layers, that shouldn't be a problem.

And yes, cut with a knife, or with a steel cutter and miter box.

I have poured m&p between cp soap layers before spraying each layer with alcohol just like you do when pouring m&p. When I have poured a layered cp with m&p I just wait for the cp to set up enough to hold the mp. Do keep in mind, if you use a wire cutter you will not be able to cut a soap layered with m&p. Same as you cannot cut m&p with a wire cutter

I have done soap exactly this way.

So, cut with a knife? M&P layer at the bottom, perhaps?

Yep, a knife and in my case a miter box to try and at least keep the cuts straight.

I've done MP inserts into CP soap. You can place them anywhere, at any time in the pouring process, as long as the CP is traced enough to support them.

At the bottom or in the middle, gelling will tend to melt the MP. For an insert, that's not much of a problem as it'll tend to hold its shape, although multicolor or layered MP will remix and the colors will change.

Up top, the base of the MP may melt, and irregular shapes can slump or puddle in too much heat. With even layers, that shouldn't be a problem.

And yes, cut with a knife, or with a steel cutter and miter box.
I think this will also depend on how hot the gel is. I embed M&P into and on top of almost all of my batches and I force gel, and I've never had them melt, mix colors or lose their shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently tried (and I'm new to all of this so maybe it's not the best thing to do) o_O mixing some clear melt and pour with gold mica and drizzling it in with my pot swirl. After slicing you can't see through it but the soap has a kind of translucent glow. I also did a bit in the heart swirl challenge, but it's not very visible in the pictures. I think I'll be doing a lot of the combination soaps, the result is always a mystery.

I recently made my first hybrid (also my first time working with MP) and did not find it too much trouble. There's a ton of potential for cool designs. But before I try another I'll have to figure out how to keep the mp layers from sweating - I really do not like that. I don't live in a humid area so was quite surprised. It could be my base I suppose.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Misschief!

No idea but hopefully so. I think I only have one bar left left - it drove me kinda crazy and I gave the other 3 bars. I wouldn't expect this to happen to you though - afterall, it's soap!

Well, that didn't work quite as planned. The layers came apart when I unmolded. The CP soap came out just fine but the M&P layer stayed in the mold. Do you think I could use some M&P as "glue" to stick them back together?

Well, that didn't work quite as planned. The layers came apart when I unmolded. The CP soap came out just fine but the M&P layer stayed in the mold. Do you think I could use some M&P as "glue" to stick them back together?
Did you gel your soap? It's weird it came apart like that. I've never had that happen... But I gel my soaps and i think the heat helps the M&P adhere to the CP and helps them stick together.

A couple of years ago I bought some all MP soap bars that totally fell apart like that when I started using them. They were the type of MP with kind of random shapes embedded in different colored MP. They were pretty, but as soon as they were agitated by water and handling while wet, they just fell apart. I have been loathe to attempt anything like that myself (with M&P and even cautious with CP) since that experience. She has a pretty good business with three store locations (I've been to two of them) and apparently a successful online business as well. Plus I really do like some of her other products, so I don't want to say where I got this bad bar of soap that fell apart. I did choose from the 'price reduction bin' so they probably just weren't good sellers because others also found them faulty. Sometimes a bargain isn't really a bargain, right?

Did you gel your soap? It's weird it came apart like that. I've never had that happen... But I gel my soaps and i think the heat helps the M&P adhere to the CP and helps them stick together.

I purposely chose not to gel the soap because it contains both milk and honey. As well, it was just a small mold. Both soaps are lovely; they're just not together. Maybe I'll try again this weekend; because it's such a small batch, I don't mind another attempt. The soap won't go to waste, that's for sure.

I make lots of hybrid soaps all the time. I never have a problem with separation. I do spray with alcohol between layers. And I make sure I soap at least at 100 degrees. Not under. That way the heat bonds them.

Here is a pick of a soap I made. One bar is being used, and the other one has not. It was made with leftovers so is not really pretty. (I use those bars in the kitchen to wash my hands, and have a dish in the patio next to the faucet too). As you can see, while it gets consumed, the MP are stay put. My entry thread for January (not sure if it still there), is also a hybrid.

Hearts you all. Because is Valentines!

20180202_142615_resized.jpg

I recently tried (and I'm new to all of this so maybe it's not the best thing to do) o_O mixing some clear melt and pour with gold mica and drizzling it in with my pot swirl. After slicing you can't see through it but the soap has a kind of translucent glow. I also did a bit in the heart swirl challenge, but it's not very visible in the pictures. I think I'll be doing a lot of the combination soaps, the result is always a mystery.

I've done that before, too- an MP swirl in a CP soap. And in a salt-bar, no less! It actually worked out quite well. The soap was scented with a bubblegum FO and the MP swirls were a solid bubblegum pink color. I wanted the soap to look like it had strands of ABC (already been chewed) bubblegum in it, and I was so happy when it came out just as I had envisioned. It was for the kids and they loved it. lol

I find that gelling really helps keep things to stick together, too.

IrishLass :)

I make lots of hybrid soaps all the time. I never have a problem with separation. I do spray with alcohol between layers. And I make sure I soap at least at 100 degrees. Not under. That way the heat bonds them.

Here is a pick of a soap I made. One bar is being used, and the other one has not. It was made with leftovers so is not really pretty. (I use those bars in the kitchen to wash my hands, and have a dish in the patio next to the faucet too). As you can see, while it gets consumed, the MP are stay put. My entry thread for January (not sure if it still there), is also a hybrid.

Hearts you all. Because is Valentines!

View attachment 28418
Love it!

Ok, I will definitely be trying this again tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that, Misschief. Was the MP on the bottom, and CP on top? Did the MP run the full length and width of the mold, and did you spritz the contact layer with high alcohol?

I have no advice or hindsight with my limited experience - just trying to envision and learn.

Back