I have an idea I want to try but I'm not sure the execution will be what I'm expecting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theplasticfantasty

Reaction score
After some experimenting I've come up with a soap frosting recipe that I like well enough, and I've been playing around with the idea of creating little soap sprinkles to put on top of the frosting (think circle confetti sprinkles like these)

My "plan" is to make a batch of batter that I'd usually use for a firm bar, split it up into however many colors, and then spread each color as a thin layer over a tray covered in parchment paper. Once it sets up I'll punch out dots using a drinking straw and let them cure as normal

I'm too nervous about potentially failing and wasting materials to go ahead and just "do it" so I figured I'd ask and double check first 😅 does my technique leave something to be desired? Would soap dough be better for something like this, like how bakers do with fondant?

I've never tried this, but I'd think you might have cracking if you try to cut out the dots after the soap has fully set up - that is, after it's hardened. If it were me, I'd do a small test batch and punch at least some (maybe half?) of the dots, but not lift them off the parchment, when the thin soap film reached a soap dough consistency - just to see in one go which works better. Then lift them off once fully hardened. I bet that's going to make some really cute soap!!

I've never tried this, but I'd think you might have cracking if you try to cut out the dots after the soap has fully set up - that is, after it's hardened. If it were me, I'd do a small test batch and punch at least some (maybe half?) of the dots, but not lift them off the parchment, when the thin soap film reached a soap dough consistency - just to see in one go which works better. Then lift them off once fully hardened. I bet that's going to make some really cute soap!!

Yes, when I said "set up" I meant moreso that the soap isn't fluid anymore but still not totally hardened. I would still want them to be pliable. l'll definitely run a few test batches! Thank you :)

I like that idea a lot. try it, please.

Haha thank youuu! I will definitely be posting results once I have some 😁

Have you considered soap dough?

I hadn't thought of soap dough until I posted this, actually! I've never worked with soap dough before so I'm not too familiar with it but I guess it would be worth trying it out in this case

What is wrong with using just candy sprinkles, that is what my daughter always use, although she dealt with m&p but, she had her own frosting recipe that was fantastic and different from posted recipes. It was a frosting recipe that dried well and stuck to the soaps well, the sprinkles did not melt.

What is wrong with using just candy sprinkles, that is what my daughter always use, although she dealt with m&p but, she had her own frosting recipe that was fantastic and different from posted recipes. It was a frosting recipe that dried well and stuck to the soaps well, the sprinkles did not melt.

Nothing wrong at all! I just wanted to try and see if it was possible to make my projects 100% soap :) plus I think it's more fun to flex my creative muscle whenever I can!

I managed to cut a very intricate snowflake out of a thin slice from the end of a loaf of soap using a plastic fondant cutter. The edges were a bit rough, but it worked, and more importantly, the soap was not especially soft. Curiosity got the better of me. Here are some dots I just cut out of another end slice. The scale bar is in inches.

image.jpg

I managed to cut a very intricate snowflake out of a thin slice from the end of a loaf of soap using a plastic fondant cutter. The edges were a bit rough, but it worked, and more importantly, the soap was not especially soft. Curiosity got the better of me. Here are some dots I just cut out of another end slice. The scale bar is in inches.

View attachment 53672

This is exactly what I was envisioning! Thank you for sharing your experience, I appreciate it! 😄

Back