I have a question about superfatting bear tallow soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tammy sue starks

Reaction score
with lard soap I superfat at 5%
with tallow superfatting it that low makes my skin feel like it is stretched so I go to six
does anyone have a suggestion for superfatting bear tallow soap besides making a bar and trying it?

I would lower the CO. Tallow can be a bit more cleansing so maybe the combination of the two is too much. How old is the soap? It may just need a longer cure.

I haven't made it yet. It looked super soft to me just using bear tallow. I thought it looked super soft just using bear tallow so I'm throwing my questions out there to figure it out

I'm sorry, you're confusing me. also, you are asking a lot of beginner questions for formulating and such which is concerning since you're also selling already.

My suggestion is to compare the fatty acid profiles of the beef and bear tallow soap recipes and think about the differences. They give some hints about what superfat might be appropriate.

Beef tallow is a fat that has about equal parts palmitic, stearic, and oleic with some myristic and lauric. Beef tallow is probably going to be more drying for sensitive skin, so adding 20% coconut might be too much for your skin when combined with the myristic and lauric acids in the tallow.

Bear tallow is a fat high in oleic acid with fairly small amounts of the other fatty acids often found in soap. What conclusion could you draw about what superfat might work best for the bear tallow recipe?

Do you have other recipes that have a similar fatty acid profile? If so, what superfat works well for those recipes?

In the end, it's YOUR skin that has to be happy, not anyone else's, so a test batch is probably a good idea.

Latest posts

Back