I have a confession .....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My boyfriend likes to tease me about how careful I am around lye (gloves, goggles, long sleeves..)

Confession: all these confessions make me feel like a priest.

HAHA j/k.

Confession: Even though candles were/are like 1000 times harder than soap ever has or will be, they are still my first true love and I like making them almost more than I like making soap.

@jcandleattic because you are or maybe a GOD with those Candles !

Confession ............ I have my car packed for a Farm day today.... they say it may shower later at 2-4pm.......... I don't want to go but I have to because I have a few customers coming

Confession of the never ending loop of regret and remorse-

1. I have had $2,000+ of soaping supplies in virtual shopping carts all over the world for about a month, BUT my budget is 1/10 of that.

2. I cannot push a purchase button...ever.

3. So I go back to my design notebook and spreadsheets to create more soap recipes and designs for hours. My boyfriend wonders where I am.

4. Then I add more supplies to the virtual shopping carts only after hours of searching around for the highest quality bang for my buck, "free" shipping, and the answers to all the questions that pop up along the way.

5. The lack-of-soaping "depression" and emptying-my-cart "anxiety" forces me close my laptop screen.

6. I finally just throw a soap together from whatever pantry ingredients I have to make me feel better. It is ugly and boring and the combination of 13 EOs because I'm running out of everything because I can't commit to my shopping carts, so the cycle begins again.

I need a therapist. Also, I hate coconut and palm oil. Also, my beveling looks like a beaver got a hold of my bar. Haha!

Confession: I wanted to eat my soap! Not really, but I sure did want what I was smelling in my kitchen to be edible. And this particular soap is unscented! Black Cherries and other edible ingredients in CPOP soap turns out to be a divine olfactory experience!

I bought safety glasses with a sort of a bi-focal type spot at the bottom with a reading glasses strength same as I use for reading. They make me so dizzy wearing them, that I just couldn't manage it. I wish I had remembered how sick to my stomach bi-focals made be before my lasix surgery. I could have saved the money. So I still just wear my reading glasses when I make soap. Every now and then I try them again and it only just makes me dizzy. Dizzy and making soap is not safe.

So this has been concerning me. Mostly because I don't want to set a bad example for my granddaughter when we have our soap making lessons in a couple of weeks prior to attending the soap making conference. I figured since I always wear my reading glasses, I'm fine, but still I felt I really should demonstrate the proper methods when teaching. That's why I bought those failure-to-work-with-my eyes & brain, reader safety glasses. Since I can't wear those, I figured I'd bring along the ones that I also can't wear while soaping because they always fog up. Well, that's just stupid. How can I expect anyone to wear those? I can't wear them, how could she manage them over her eyeglasses? Probably wouldn't work well for her either.

Last night I landed on these as a good possibility, so I ordered 2 pair today. Actually I had them in my Amazon cart, but waited too long to confirm the order and none were left, so I had to go to ebay. But with the 10% discount code I received, they cost the about the same. They should arrive in 4 days and I'll have a chance to test them out soon. I may end up having to make soap without my hearing aids in (too many things behind my ears can be problematic), but hearing isn't crucial when making soap.

I had thought of going to my eye doctor and ordering prescription safety glasses, but the cost would be so high, especially since I don't need an actual prescription; just readers. So I'm hoping these will work well for both of us and not only will they come in handy for her soap making (if she does more than soap with me and at the conference workshop), but she will also need a pair when she takes chemistry in preparation for her nursing degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's true. I look at the work being done now and it is way beyond anything I can do, could do, or ever attempted. I've accepted my limitations. Brown is a nice color. Tan is fantastic. Anything else is a happy miracle.
I hear ya, TAS... coloring soap has come a long way since we first started out... but you could share some pics of your beautiful packaging. And, didn't you do a tutorial on taking pictures? I seem to remember a fairly simple set-up and really good advice. Now I could use it. I'm just getting started on taking pics with my first iPhone... 76 years old and finally getting into the 21st century. :rolleyes:

I'm running out of everything because I can't commit to my shopping carts, so the cycle begins again. ... I need a therapist.
Um, I make soap because it's cheaper than therapy! LOL

Get off the internet and hustle your sweet patootie over to Walmart. Pick up some olive oil, a 6 oz castor oil, some Morton's Sea Salt, and a box of Baking Soda (all of which have other uses) and make this soap that a lot of members are having success with:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/zanys-no-slime-castile.72620/

In other words, stop thinking about it and just do it. Once you have this soap batch under your belt, you'll gain the confidence you need to move on to other more adventurous happenings!

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, this thread is too much fun.

O have a son that lives with me that he has to be out of the house when I soap. Otherwise something always goes wrong when he is here. He asks me Iif I love him, lol.

I don't wear gloves or goggles :oops:

I know is not of my business, but please at least were safety glasses, something can happen, is like a car accident, you never think is going to happen to you.

Confession: I wanted to eat my soap! Not really, but I sure did want what I was smelling in my kitchen to be edible. And this particular soap is unscented! Black Cherries and other edible ingredients in CPOP soap turns out to be a divine olfactory experience!
Life is not fair. You can't eat what you smell. We can't smell what you're creating.

OK all, can we get BACK ON SUBJECT of this thread ?

Confession.............. I got all my soapy stuff ready to go, lye mixed, oils mix and melted, Even got the Palm out of the bag-in-a-box to the 5 gal bucket because it was so hot out today.
Then DD came home from being away since Friday......... with a sun burn on her FEET and face :oops: poor thing.
So no soaping tonight, but ready for tomorrow

I hear ya, TAS... coloring soap has come a long way since we first started out... but you could share some pics of your beautiful packaging. And, didn't you do a tutorial on taking pictures? I seem to remember a fairly simple set-up and really good advice. Now I could use it. I'm just getting started on taking pics with my first iPhone... 76 years old and finally getting into the 21st century. :rolleyes:
Zany, I'll see what I can do. Tomorrow I have minor surgery so this week is out. I'm trying to make a month of soap then take pics at the end of the month. Life moves fast so stay tuned.

lol, this thread is too much fun.

O have a son that lives with me that he has to be out of the house when I soap. Otherwise something always goes wrong when he is here. He asks me Iif I love him, lol.

I know is not of my business, but please at least were safety glasses, something can happen, is like a car accident, you never think is going to happen to you.

It has happened to me, and I have some weird sort of resistance to lye. It just doesn't burn me.

My confession: total newbie. I have watched hundreds of hours of soaping videos, i have a notebook filled with recipes, I have all my supplies ready and waiting. I dream up designs. I even tell the people in the videos they made a booboo ... but I’m intimidated!

Yet I make beautiful candles, plant medicine and beads from rose petals but soaping brings me to my knees! :hairpulling:

I consider myself a newbie too, although I now have 8 batches under my belt. Just jump right in as you will be so happy that you did! I watched many videos and read many articles on soaping, so I felt pretty confident going into my first batch. So I skipped ahead and went straight to a real goat milk soap and put together a recipe based on what properties I wanted in my soap, rather than following a recipe that I had found online. You want to know how it turned out? Awesome! (so don't be intimidated!) I am 50 and my skin is changing and the store bought soap that I used to use....the only soap I could use....dries me out like crazy now. My home made soap gives me silky skin like a teenager! I am so glad that I made the switch and I will never buy store bought soap again.
My confession is that I rarely use gloves or genuine eye protection (I have glasses so I am somewhat protected)

I also have an online cart filled with probably a years worth of supplies that I want to buy but I am waiting to press the button as I have 8 batches of soap (call it 7...I am only meh about one of them) and hubby kind of thinks we are covered for quite some time. I, on the other hand, feel the need to create. :) Going to press that purchase button soon and let him figure it out when the visa bill arrives.
Another confession....not a fan of Lavender.

Last edited:
Confession of the never ending loop of regret and remorse-

1. I have had $2,000+ of soaping supplies in virtual shopping carts all over the world for about a month, BUT my budget is 1/10 of that.

2. I cannot push a purchase button...ever.

3. So I go back to my design notebook and spreadsheets to create more soap recipes and designs for hours. My boyfriend wonders where I am.

4. Then I add more supplies to the virtual shopping carts only after hours of searching around for the highest quality bang for my buck, "free" shipping, and the answers to all the questions that pop up along the way.

5. The lack-of-soaping "depression" and emptying-my-cart "anxiety" forces me close my laptop screen.

6. I finally just throw a soap together from whatever pantry ingredients I have to make me feel better. It is ugly and boring and the combination of 13 EOs because I'm running out of everything because I can't commit to my shopping carts, so the cycle begins again.

I need a therapist. Also, I hate coconut and palm oil. Also, my beveling looks like a beaver got a hold of my bar. Haha!

That made me laugh

Back