I have a confession .....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I confess I only bevel when my artistic vision for the soap demands beveling- I don't even have a beveler just a potato peeler. I also never use a thermometer, I dont even own an instant read one. I wear goggles and gloves to soap- but not to wash up the soap bowls- although sometimes those sit for more than a week before I wash them, unless I'm super excited about a million designs I have to do right now or else. I've pretty much ruined the finish on our old craft table spilling batter on it, and the wooden floor is speckled from tiny beads of lye I cant see falling on it.

It's bad and I need to stop

But now that the kiddo isn't breast feeding much, most days only before bedtime....... I find I smoke a lot while I'm soaping (when he's already asleep).

Ugh.. Like whenever my hands are free, waiting for the soap to cook. Bad I know, but it's the worst confession I can think of lol

I only used safety goggles once, with my very first batch. Ditto for the gloves, until just recently. I washed the stick blender right after soaping (crazy, I know) and it took a week of moisturizing to get my hands to heal. Now I use gloves every time.
Thermometer? I only use it when I make caramel or bread. From my 2nd batch on I never used temps to soap.
No beveling either. My soaps are palm sized so there's really no need. My Nanny and my friends don't seem to care, they just love my soaps no matter what they look like!
I'm just happy to soap.
I don't wear gloves or goggles :oops:
Right on!

I soap with a bourbon and coke on the table, and have a cat that lives in my soap studio ...
Beer is allowed in my soap dungeon. @Primrose feel free to bring your own bourbon :)
The She-cat is allowed to come into the dungeon periodically to sniff out any potential mice, but she is well behaved and doesn't sit on shelves or jump up on tables. The He-Cat is a jerk who doesn't listen, so he's not allowed.

Please don't see me as the bad guy here, but I just feel that I need to caution any newbies reading this thread. I strongly urge you to wear goggles and gloves when you are first starting. Once you are comfortable with the process I guess you can decide for yourself if you want to continue to use them.
I respect the choice some of you who have opted not to wear goggles and/or gloves have made for yourself. I will continue to use both. Admittedly, because I wear glasses I will forget to put on my goggles that fit over them, but at least I do have some amount of eye protection from my glasses.
Just within the last couple of weeks I had soap batter land on my lips. This is a rare, if ever, occurrence for me and I'm not entirely sure how it happened. I had super thin, barely emulsified batter and I think I was hitting my stick blender on the side of my mixing bowl and a few drops flew up - one landing on my lip. A few inches higher and it would have been my eye. And yes, I did get a burn there even though I rinsed right away and sat with ice wrapped with a cloth on it.

Please don't see me as the bad guy here, but I just feel that I need to caution any newbies reading this thread. I strongly urge you to wear goggles and gloves when you are first starting. Once you are comfortable with the process I guess you can decide for yourself if you want to continue to use them.
I respect the choice some of you who have opted not to wear goggles and/or gloves have made for yourself. I will continue to use both. Admittedly, because I wear glasses I will forget to put on my goggles that fit over them, but at least I do have some amount of eye protection from my glasses.
Just within the last couple of weeks I had soap batter land on my lips. This is a rare, if ever, occurrence for me and I'm not entirely sure how it happened. I had super thin, barely emulsified batter and I think I was hitting my stick blender on the side of my mixing bowl and a few drops flew up - one landing on my lip. A few inches higher and it would have been my eye. And yes, I did get a burn there even though I rinsed right away and sat with ice wrapped with a cloth on it.
This thread - https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/eye-protection.27050/ - post #3 - is why I will ALWAYS wear eye protection. You just never know when a TRUE accident is going to happen. Nobody could have predicted the explosion that happened or when. Luckily I wasn't scarred, but was pretty raw for about 3-4 days... Miserable.

Confession. I keep changing my display LOL
I bought this for a 4 day show on Labor day this year. I just didn't have enough table space last year and I have more soap this year !
The Black fabric was a last minute thing to cover the bottom but it covered the whole back so that was a plus :)
smiling (for a little while) child is mine and would probably kill me if she knew I posted her pic hahahahhahaha
View attachment 39743

Edit to add that I only did this because it was a 7 hr show and a trial. My other small 3-4 hr shows will have limited supply brought and just deal with the 2 tables I use.

Just a thought. Blue and green are thought of as cleansing, and your soaps seem neutral, how about a pop of color with your draping fabric. Your middle shelves could show soaps in buyable gift basket, with cellophane if you want a cover.
A banner on your table front with your company name or just Natural Soaps or the like would help interested people zoom right to you. A riser or two for display helps draw attention. Maybe slice some soap on the table for tiny samples you could put in little paper bags —with tiny labels of course—to keep some action going on. A mailing list. Cards to give with samples or take home. Your “kit” can be car ready.

*gulp* Ok, here's my confession....
About 50% of my time now is spent making non-soap (aka SynDet) items. While I love soap, it just wasn't enough after I got a taste for formulating. Bubble bath, shower gels, shampoos, conditioners...yeah, I make it all.
Soap was my gateway drug. When I'm feeling artistic, I turn to soap because it is my creative outlet. But, I'm a cheater. I feel bad when I turn to my bottle of shower gel, but it's too late now.... :(
:p;)

Just a thought. Blue and green are thought of as cleansing, and your soaps seem neutral, how about a pop of color with your draping fabric. Your middle shelves could show soaps in buyable gift basket, with cellophane if you want a cover.
A banner on your table front with your company name or just Natural Soaps or the like would help interested people zoom right to you. A riser or two for display helps draw attention. Maybe slice some soap on the table for tiny samples you could put in little paper bags —with tiny labels of course—to keep some action going on. A mailing list. Cards to give with samples or take home. Your “kit” can be car ready.

There is a sign on the table front.
I know my market, this works.

Cards to give with samples
I never have samples available anymore. The few times I offered samples my actual sales suffered because everyone was just there for the freebies. This may work for some people, but I just won't do it. Samples for me, are only given in my online sales and to friends and family.

Samples for me, are only given in my online sales and to friends and family.
Yep, I used to hand out samples at shows as well, but they rarely brought in more business. Now I save those samples to add to orders, or for people who message me asking for samples - most of those who ask have come back to buy. (Actually, I can't think of anyone who hasn't, but for the sake of not making the "everyone" claim, I'll go with "most".)

Also, I don't think Lin was asking for setup advice. Now back to the topic...

Confession: I copy other people's designs. If I post to social media, I do acknowledge where I saw the idea. I have Instagram collections of soap p*rn...

Back