I have a confession .....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lick the spoon when mixing soap. Just kidding.

I really don't have anything - I always wear gloves and goggles, I'm terribly anal about splitting my batter for coloring and weigh everything into their container, I never take temps, and beveling is my zen zone. Seriously, you need your soaps beveled, you send them my way. I guess that if I have anything to confess it's that after making soap I put my blender head in a container of water and dish soap... and it will sit there uncleaned until the next time I make soap... which may be a week or two later...

When I was much younger I carelessly splashed a drop of formaldehyde solution into my eye one day while working in the lab. Even after using the emergency eye wash my eye took weeks to fully recover. Guess who always wears goggles in the lab and when she makes soap?! I will admit to freely handling very fresh soap. Want to compare hands @KiwiMoose?

I pick up a bar of soap and wash my hands even when they don't need washing -- sometimes more than once. Just for the pure joy of feeling the creamy lather and thinking, "I made this!" I also run my hands over my skin under the covers at night because it feels so smooth and nice. Oh, the joys of luxurious home made soap. (swoon)

I routinely use my few day old soaps to wash my hands just because I want to smell like whatever delicious scent I just made. Also my cat roams freely around my studio. She often watches me make soap from a safe ish distance.

I bevel every bar, it too is my zen zone. I enjoy it. I don’t wear goggles but do wear glasses, don’t use a thermometer, haven’t since my 3 or 4th batch. I usually wear gloves but not always. I add mica straight to my batter these days.

I pick up a bar of soap and wash my hands even when they don't need washing -- sometimes more than once. Just for the pure joy of feeling the creamy lather and thinking, "I made this!" I also run my hands over my skin under the covers at night because it feels so smooth and nice. Oh, the joys of luxurious home made soap. (swoon)
I do that too! I wash my hands about 6 times an hour, and I'm NOT OCD.

True confessions of a soap maker.....I've never beveled my soap (it's round), I don't wear goggles (ruined a couple pairs of glasses that way, so I stopped wearing glasses when I soap). Never have used a thermometer nor a crockpot to make HP. I stopped coloring and swirling soap about 10 years ago. Once soap goes in the oven, I never ever look or touch it until time's up and I still lick spoons to zap test soap.

Confession. I keep changing my display LOL
I bought this for a 4 day show on Labor day this year. I just didn't have enough table space last year and I have more soap this year !
The Black fabric was a last minute thing to cover the bottom but it covered the whole back so that was a plus :)
smiling (for a little while) child is mine and would probably kill me if she knew I posted her pic hahahahhahaha
IMG_20190615_113042690_HDR[1].jpg

Edit to add that I only did this because it was a 7 hr show and a trial. My other small 3-4 hr shows will have limited supply brought and just deal with the 2 tables I use.

I confess that I am superstitious. I don't like to make soap when it is raining or threatening to rain. Today I faced my fear and made soap. Hope the rain gods smile on my soap. (I did sing to it tho').

My confessions:

I bevel purely because it adds copy appeal selling primarily online.

I rarely wear goggles because none fit over my glasses.

I weigh water, lye, fragrance, and oils precisely, and never pay much mind to anything else. I know what a decent amount of mica looks like. I eyeball splitting the batch. It's cool.

I've never insulated my soaps. If they gel, they gel. If they don't, they don't. If they partial, I get to market it as a unique two-tone coloration.

Back