I have a confession .....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
And I am NOT ashamed :cool:

I stopped beveling my bars last week.

I just rub a bit on the bottom so those little bottom splinters come off and in the Box it goes .

I felt bad for all of ... hmmmm 1 moment.

It has saved me a ton of time and if the people want beveled, they can run their nail over the corners like I do with the end cuts I only get to use.
:thumbs:

What Soap confession do you have ?

I haven't beveled a bar in probably 10 years. People literally did not even notice a difference. When I tried to explain to them (preemptively before they would ask - which they never did) they would look at me like I had 3 heads!! LOL

Soap confession: hmmmm - let me see - I guess the most scandalous confession is I don't use a thermometer in my soapmaking (or candlemaking), never really have. Some of my very first batches way back then I did, but not for at least 15 years or more.
Not sure what else would be a "true" confession. If I think of a better one, I'll post. LOL

And I am NOT ashamed :cool:

I stopped beveling my bars last week.

I just rub a bit on the bottom so those little bottom splinters come off and in the Box it goes .

I felt bad for all of ... hmmmm 1 moment.

It has saved me a ton of time and if the people want beveled, they can run their nail over the corners like I do with the end cuts I only get to use.
:thumbs:

What Soap confession do you have ?
Haha! That was one of my dilemmas, but i now don't bevel. Life is too short to bevel :)
My confession ..... I can't remember the last time I used my thermometer.

I don't use goggles, never did.
I DO wear disposable gloves and a paper mask when I mix LYE outside.

......... but I don't care if I spill lye on the porch table.
OH THE SHAME OF IT ALL !!!

I must say, I also hate using unbeveled soaps. Was starting to think I was the only one. They drive me nuts. :D

Before I was making my own soap... The lady I bought my soap from did not bevel. I dreaded starting a new bar, haha. Hindsight being what it is... I could have beveled it myself but that's effort on my part!

Great thread; love true confessions! lol My confession is that I don't wear gloves or goggles, never have. The few times I splashed a bit of lye water on my skin I realized it only causes a little sting, that's it. As far as beveling, I bevel the edges that will be touching the hands when turning the soap while washing. I don't like the feel of those 90 degree angles when first starting a new bar of soap and so assume many other people don't, either. I use a potato/apple peeler when beveling while the soaps are still in the log stage so it goes very quickly. Let's see... what else. I don't use a thermometer anymore and only did so when first learning to make soap. I think that's it for my soaping sins. :)

Bevel? What's that? No, I don't bevel. Ain't got no time for that!

I rarely wear gloves. If my lye water splatters, I'll feel it and I'll rinse copiously with cool water.

I have a thermometer but I don't use it for soap making. It isn't necessary; I feel the outside of my stainless steel bowls. If they feel close to the same temperature (around body temp), I go ahead and add the lye to my oils and proceed.

I can't say that my soap has suffered. I know I haven't.

I don’t use my batch oils to mix my mica.

I do bevel my soaps because I really prefer them that way. I always wear gloves because I so often end up with soap batter on my spatula or stick blender and it just feels like a wise choice, knowing I can be a bit messy. I wear glasses and usually forget to put on goggles. But I wouldn’t take a chance with no eye protection.

I bought safety glasses with a sort of a bi-focal type spot at the bottom with a reading glasses strength same as I use for reading. They make me so dizzy wearing them, that I just couldn't manage it. I wish I had remembered how sick to my stomach bi-focals made be before my lasix surgery. I could have saved the money. So I still just wear my reading glasses when I make soap. Every now and then I try them again and it only just makes me dizzy. Dizzy and making soap is not safe.

1. I don't bevel per se. I do rub each side on my baking paper to make the edges not so sharp.
2. I stir my HP soap frequently while its cooking no matter what 70% of HP You-tubers say.. there, Ive said it and I wont take it back.
3. I mix my micas with hot sugar water and dont subtract it from my fluid total

I don't use goggles, never did.
I DO wear disposable gloves and a paper mask when I mix LYE outside.

......... but I don't care if I spill lye on the porch table.
OH THE SHAME OF IT ALL !!!

I ruined my last work table with lye splatters. I bought a water resistant table cover with the new work table.

Bevel? What's that? No, I don't bevel. Ain't got no time for that!

I rarely wear gloves. If my lye water splatters, I'll feel it and I'll rinse copiously with cool water.

I have a thermometer but I don't use it for soap making. It isn't necessary; I feel the outside of my stainless steel bowls. If they feel close to the same temperature (around body temp), I go ahead and add the lye to my oils and proceed.

I can't say that my soap has suffered. I know I haven't.
Love the new do Misschief!

I've never used a thermometer.

I used goggles the first time I made soap, but haven't since ( but I do wear glasses for astigmatism anyway, so I don't see the point)

I usually wear gloves but if I have run out I sometime soap without.

I made soap balls once with seized soap batter immediately after it seized using my BARE hands on one such occasion when i had no gloves. Admittedly i did have very shiny palms for a day or two :eek:

Back