I have a confession .....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should do that because it needs to gel? Or doesn't need gel? Or just starts with "g" like gel :p

Because when you make the ghost swirl (aka high and low water) you get part of the soap gelling while the other part does not gel. That is due to the different amounts of water in each portion. For more detail on the process and how it is achieved here are couple of links to get you on track should you decide to give it a go:

https://auntieclaras.com/2015/09/the-ghost-swirl/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-december-challenge-high-and-low-water-batch.57559/

Thank you @earlene ! I hadn't been paying much attention and thought that a ghost swirl was a physical technique like hanger swirl or side-wall pour. I didn't realise it was a *chemical* technique! More fun!
And definitely more reading to do....

I should do that because it needs to gel? Or doesn't need gel? Or just starts with "g" like gel :p[/QUOTE
Im sure its because I learned HP First in Bar soap. I kind of did things backwards and my first ever soap was HP Liquid soap.
Wow the hardest first! I have never done HP or liquid...Im scared of them!

Count me in as one of the glove-and-goggle-free soapers! And there is usually a dog or two milling around, as well. I always try to be in a 'present' frame of mind though and measure, mix and tread carefully! ;-)
Everyone who doesn’t wear eye protection should realize that accidents DO happen and you only get one set/pair of eyes! I live in South Florida and don’t wear long sleeves or long pants. But I ALWAYS wear eye protection and gloves. It’s better for new soapers to start out right.

I think I'm addicted to making soap. I've made two batches yesterday. One batch today and already planning a batch for tomorrow and the next day.

I now have a lot of soap... And no clue what to do with it!!
Me too! This is addicting. Not sure what to do when they all finish curing.

This is the most entertaining thread I've read so far! All of you guys are awesome. So glad to be apart of this. Most important thing I'm taking away as a noob... SAFETY FIRST! I like my eyes, my skin, and my pets the way they are!!!

This is the most entertaining thread I've read so far! All of you guys are awesome. So glad to be apart of this. Most important thing I'm taking away as a noob... SAFETY FIRST! I like my eyes, my skin, and my pets the way they are!!!
I kinda wish my eyes were a little better but it's the only one I've got (I'm technically blind in one eye) so I do look after them, especially after the lecture I received from one of my optometrists.

Wow the hardest first! I have never done HP or liquid...Im scared of them!

I didnt know it was the hardest when I did it. I happened across a youtube video about a year into soap making that was describing liquid soap making and saying it was an advanced process and that if the viewer hadnt made cold or hot process that we should go back and watch her beginning soap making videos. My thought was "Oops"

Me too! This is addicting. Not sure what to do when they all finish curing.
With all the different recipes and techniques to try, it’s hard to stop. Now that I know I can make nice, safe soap, I pack it up and give it to family and close friends who give me feedback on the recipes, scents, designs, etc. I don’t give out any soap without labeling it and that takes a bit of work. I’ve thought about donating soap to the local women’s shelter, but I want to give it another few months so I can get reasonably confident that my soaps are not prone to DOS. I want the experience of using my soap to be a reason someone would then buy soap from a seller at a market or shop, not a reason they would avoid handmade soap!

And for the confession part, I have one of those point and click thermometers and I love it. My palms are nearly calibrated to the temps measured with the thermometer + a few degree F.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the different recipes and techniques to try, it’s hard to stop. Now that I know I can make nice, safe soap, I pack it up and give it to family and close friends who give me feedback on the recipes, scents, designs, etc. I don’t give out any soap without labeling it and that takes a bit of work. I’ve thought about donating soap to the local women’s shelter, but I want to give it another few months so I can get reasonably confident that my soaps are not prone to DOS. I want the experience of using my soap to be a reason someone would then buy soap from a seller at a market or shop, not a reason they would avoid handmade soap!

This is exactly what I'm working toward!

I don't bevel because I prefer a sharp edge to accommodate my cigar band style labels. I do, however, soften the edges by washing & gently rubbing with a washcloth. ;)

True confession: We have "bull nose" (rounded) corners in our house. When I lotion up after getting out of the tub, I put a blob of lotion at a certain height on the corner of the wall closest to the tub. I then back up to it to get lotion on the middle of my back where I can't quite reach. Ahhhh. :cool: Washable paint on the walls, of course.

Latest posts

Back