I have a confession .....

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by Lin19687, Jun 13, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jun 17, 2019 #41

TheDragonGirl

TheDragonGirl

TheDragonGirl

Professional Geek

I confess I only bevel when my artistic vision for the soap demands beveling- I don't even have a beveler just a potato peeler. I also never use a thermometer, I dont even own an instant read one. I wear goggles and gloves to soap- but not to wash up the soap bowls- although sometimes those sit for more than a week before I wash them, unless I'm super excited about a million designs I have to do right now or else. I've pretty much ruined the finish on our old craft table spilling batter on it, and the wooden floor is speckled from tiny beads of lye I cant see falling on it.

2. Jun 17, 2019 #42

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

It's bad and I need to stop

But now that the kiddo isn't breast feeding much, most days only before bedtime....... I find I smoke a lot while I'm soaping (when he's already asleep).

Ugh.. Like whenever my hands are free, waiting for the soap to cook. Bad I know, but it's the worst confession I can think of lol

Mushroom Hunter and KiwiMoose like this.
  3. Jun 17, 2019 #43

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

@Dawni Soap Instead of smoking... Much healthier ;)

Confession.... I don't want to go to work, I want to stay home and SOAP !

4. Jun 17, 2019 #44

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

I'm pretty sure this is a confession all soapmakers have!! HAHA becaause - yeah, me too!! :)

Stephanie Norwood and KiwiMoose like this.
  5. Jun 17, 2019 #45

maxine289

maxine289

maxine289

Supporting Member

Me too. Can't wait for the day I can do that.

6. Jun 17, 2019 #46

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

Supporting Member

OK, my new confession is that I'd secretly like to see a video of your confession.

7. Jun 17, 2019 #47

Iluminameluna

Iluminameluna

Iluminameluna

I only used safety goggles once, with my very first batch. Ditto for the gloves, until just recently. I washed the stick blender right after soaping (crazy, I know) and it took a week of moisturizing to get my hands to heal. Now I use gloves every time.
    Thermometer? I only use it when I make caramel or bread. From my 2nd batch on I never used temps to soap.
    No beveling either. My soaps are palm sized so there's really no need. My Nanny and my friends don't seem to care, they just love my soaps no matter what they look like!
    I'm just happy to soap.
    Right on!

8. Jun 17, 2019 #48

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

Beer is allowed in my soap dungeon. @Primrose feel free to bring your own bourbon :)
    The She-cat is allowed to come into the dungeon periodically to sniff out any potential mice, but she is well behaved and doesn't sit on shelves or jump up on tables. The He-Cat is a jerk who doesn't listen, so he's not allowed.

9. Jun 17, 2019 #49

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

Please don't see me as the bad guy here, but I just feel that I need to caution any newbies reading this thread. I strongly urge you to wear goggles and gloves when you are first starting. Once you are comfortable with the process I guess you can decide for yourself if you want to continue to use them.
    I respect the choice some of you who have opted not to wear goggles and/or gloves have made for yourself. I will continue to use both. Admittedly, because I wear glasses I will forget to put on my goggles that fit over them, but at least I do have some amount of eye protection from my glasses.
    Just within the last couple of weeks I had soap batter land on my lips. This is a rare, if ever, occurrence for me and I'm not entirely sure how it happened. I had super thin, barely emulsified batter and I think I was hitting my stick blender on the side of my mixing bowl and a few drops flew up - one landing on my lip. A few inches higher and it would have been my eye. And yes, I did get a burn there even though I rinsed right away and sat with ice wrapped with a cloth on it.

10. Jun 17, 2019 #50

Aleja

Aleja

Aleja

I've never used a thermometer before, just recently bought one. Haven't used it still.

11. Jun 17, 2019 #51

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

This thread - https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/eye-protection.27050/ - post #3 - is why I will ALWAYS wear eye protection. You just never know when a TRUE accident is going to happen. Nobody could have predicted the explosion that happened or when. Luckily I wasn't scarred, but was pretty raw for about 3-4 days... Miserable.

12. Jun 17, 2019 #52

Kathymzr

Kathymzr

Kathymzr

13. Jun 17, 2019 #53

Kathymzr

Kathymzr

Kathymzr

Just a thought. Blue and green are thought of as cleansing, and your soaps seem neutral, how about a pop of color with your draping fabric. Your middle shelves could show soaps in buyable gift basket, with cellophane if you want a cover.
    A banner on your table front with your company name or just Natural Soaps or the like would help interested people zoom right to you. A riser or two for display helps draw attention. Maybe slice some soap on the table for tiny samples you could put in little paper bags —with tiny labels of course—to keep some action going on. A mailing list. Cards to give with samples or take home. Your “kit” can be car ready.

Mushroom Hunter likes this.
  14. Jun 18, 2019 #54

Kurt

Kurt

Kurt

Supporting Member

Well, it usually involves me throwing my already ruined back out, then landing on the floor with my 7 year old asking if she needs to call 911.

Mushroom Hunter and DWinMadison like this.
  15. Jun 18, 2019 #55

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

Supporting Member

See. You just make it sound more fun. :lol:

Mushroom Hunter and Kurt like this.
  16. Jun 18, 2019 #56

Cellador

Cellador

Cellador

*gulp* Ok, here's my confession....
    About 50% of my time now is spent making non-soap (aka SynDet) items. While I love soap, it just wasn't enough after I got a taste for formulating. Bubble bath, shower gels, shampoos, conditioners...yeah, I make it all.
    Soap was my gateway drug. When I'm feeling artistic, I turn to soap because it is my creative outlet. But, I'm a cheater. I feel bad when I turn to my bottle of shower gel, but it's too late now.... :(
    :p;)

17. Jun 18, 2019 #57

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

There is a sign on the table front.
    I know my market, this works.

18. Jun 18, 2019 #58

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

I never have samples available anymore. The few times I offered samples my actual sales suffered because everyone was just there for the freebies. This may work for some people, but I just won't do it. Samples for me, are only given in my online sales and to friends and family.

Mushroom Hunter, Primrose and amd like this.
  19. Jun 18, 2019 #59

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

Yep, I used to hand out samples at shows as well, but they rarely brought in more business. Now I save those samples to add to orders, or for people who message me asking for samples - most of those who ask have come back to buy. (Actually, I can't think of anyone who hasn't, but for the sake of not making the "everyone" claim, I'll go with "most".)

Also, I don't think Lin was asking for setup advice. Now back to the topic...

Confession: I copy other people's designs. If I post to social media, I do acknowledge where I saw the idea. I have Instagram collections of soap p*rn...

20. Jun 18, 2019 #60

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

Confession............ I watch @amd videos of soaping......

Draft saved Draft deleted