I hate bath bombs, an ode to bath and body that we all hate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CpnDouchette

Reaction score
Hate. Hate. Hate.

I'm in the UK, humidity is always a problem. I don't use them. They are ingrained in toddler's hair wash reward system that still results in banshee level screams, but it is the promised land. And yes, they're rubbish for her. But even so, diligently I make these bastard balls that always activate as they set up.

Hate. Hate. Hate.

What do you hate? (Bonus points for actual poetry versus my rage diatribe ...)

How about a haiku?

"Rebatch"

Endless soap grating
Mica poorly blended in
Lumpy, odd-shaped bars

Can I ask.... why rebatch? Like... if my lye is off I'm not sure I'd be confident enough to rectify by rebatching and if it looks ****.... I'd just live with it i guess... I dunno, maybe I'm missing the point?

But I do love your haiku!

Can I ask.... why rebatch? Like... if my lye is off I'm not sure I'd be confident enough to rectify by rebatching and if it looks ****.... I'd just live with it i guess... I dunno, maybe I'm missing the point?

But I do love your haiku!

The point is I hate it. I thought that is the point of the thread-- B&B projects that you hate. And I wanted bonus points so I wrote a poem.

If you mean "what's the point of rebatching at all," I have no idea. I agree about recalculating lye. If the soap wasn't visually what I wanted, I would much rather just make a confetti soap.

Waste not, want not.

Say you were in a hurry and you forgot 3 oz of oils…not huge deal if you’re making a 5 lb batch, it’ll lower your Super Fat a little, but what if you’re making a 20 oz batch? You cant sell as is. You might get lucky and the soap is fine 6 to 8 months down the road. You can toss it in the trash…it’s only six or seven dollars in ingredients. Or you can save the soap shredding the soap, melting it down, adding in the missing oils, molding it and selling or using it.

Or maybe you forgot to add your scent…I’ve done that a few times…or the scent completely disappeared. Or maybe the colorant didn’t turn out.

A lot of folks choose not to waste soap, so they rebatch. Even if it doesn’t turn out well, it’s still good for home use.

I despise making bath bombs even though I love the science of making them spin and shoot out different colors.I know people love them but I hate making them so much that I decided the money wasn't worth it.

My haiku for my hatred of the process:

I must make them spin.
Total pain in my behind.
Look! Unicorn snot.

What do you hate? (Bonus points for actual poetry versus my rage diatribe ...)

I can’t say that I actually ‘hate’ anything, though there are things that I don’t like or have any interest in.

Bath Bombs - They are messy to make, the mixture can be very temperamental from all accounts and they just feel gross on my skin. Give me a nice bubble bath or bath oil or even bath salts.

Candles - WAY too complicated.

Soap Dough/Embeds/Multi-Scrapers - More more than I want to do.

Complicated Designs/Techniques - There are soaps out there that are gorgeous works of art and I can greatly appreciate and admire the folks that create them…it’s just not me.

The point is I hate it. I thought that is the point of the thread-- B&B projects that you hate. And I wanted bonus points so I wrote a poem.

If you mean "what's the point of rebatching at all," I have no idea. I agree about recalculating lye. If the soap wasn't visually what I wanted, I would much rather just make a confetti soap.

That was the point of the thread - I was just curious and making conversation - sorry if it came across otherwise.

I despise making bath bombs even though I love the science of making them spin and shoot out different colors.I know people love them but I hate making them so much that I decided the money wasn't worth it.

My haiku for my hatred of the process:

I must make them spin.
Total pain in my behind.
Look! Unicorn snot.

I see all these foaming colourful ones on insta and a little part of me dies... I think bath bombs must be 5% science and 95% witchcraft.

I am a little soap maker,
With goat milk I do play.
I melt and whisk and blend and mould
To wash your hands each day.
I fill your baths,
I fill your sink,
I help you out whene’er you stink.
But there’s one thing I just cannot abide,
It makes me mad and wounds my pride.
Hours I spend to get it just right,
Use all my will and all my might.
But it seems that it’s all just a matter of fate Because my liquid soap will always separate!

I don't like bath bombs in my bath. I prefer bath teas with herbs, eo, salts, etc.

I did a project for shower steamers, which is essentially a bath bomb for the shower with menthol in it. I loved it when I was sick. Really cleared up my sinuses. They had the vapo rub feel encompassing the entire bathroom.

However, the rest of my batch swelled until they were one huge steamer in the container. I don't know what went wrong, nor do I think I will waste my time doing them again.

Not bath and body related. But here is an ode to my 13 year old self:

There once was a turkey named Tinner.
Who every day grew thinner and thinner.
One day he pigged out
And grew very stout
And that night we had Tinner for dinner

Almost 40 years later and I still remember that LOL. I think it is a limerick.

Rebatch: I do this when the bars are ugly, or an FO seizes the soap. I agree, it's not fun, but the resulting bars are usually donated to the homeless shelter as perfectly good albeit unsightly soap. They are thrilled to get it, and I'm thrilled to get rid of it without having to toss it in the trash. I'm cheap and hate waste.

Bath bombs - meh. Don't hate 'em, don't love 'em. Will make them upon request but that's all.

Shower Steamers - 100% what Catscankim said. They are easy to make and fantastic for clearing sinuses and making the bathroom smell great. But if you aren't going to use them right away, they need to be tightly wrapped, and not in the compostable breathable stuff, either. Otherwise the humidity in the bathroom, plus whatever humidity is happening outside, activates them pretty quickly.

I see all these foaming colourful ones on insta and a little part of me dies... I think bath bombs must be 5% science and 95% witchcraft.
Nope, not witchcraft. You just need to make little bomb embeds with a different ratio of citric acid (than the big bomb you embed them in) to make the big bomb spin. Add some SLSA to create the foam.
My two favorites (and best-sellers) were:
Nosferatu - a black glitter bomb that turned the tub water black and shot out dark red trails. Scented with dark patchouli and smoke.
Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease - a white glitter bomb that shot out red and blue trails and was scented with an Apple Pie FO. <A total USA thing>
I made these because I thought they were hilarious. I never expected that people would go nuts for them!

Nope, not witchcraft. You just need to make little bomb embeds with a different ratio of citric acid (than the big bomb you embed them in) to make the big bomb spin. Add some SLSA to create the foam.
My two favorites (and best-sellers) were:
Nosferatu - a black glitter bomb that turned the tub water black and shot out dark red trails. Scented with dark patchouli and smoke.
Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease - a white glitter bomb that shot out red and blue trails and was scented with an Apple Pie FO. <A total USA thing>
I made these because I thought they were hilarious. I never expected that people would go nuts for them!
They sound awesome. Do you have video of them going off?

Can’t see the reasoning…i make myself a lovely hot bath with some scented candles, luxuriate in the lovely oils and smells, AND THEN when done gave to scrub out the tub so no one kill’s themselves on the slick oiliness when it’s their turn.

plus the fact that i really don’t like baths. 😁
When I visit my son, DIL & granddaugher, I have to search for the suction-cup bathtub mat prior to taking a shower in my granddaughter's bathtub because of the oily-tub syndrome. I fell one day just stepping into the tub; I am not even sure how I managed to not end up with a concussion or big bruise on my hip or something. She loves to take those oily-tub producing baths with candles & music and the whole 9-yards. But she doesn't ever think of cleaning up the oiliness.

We spoke about it later that day & it turns out she has even fallen in her own shower, too from the oily-tub syndrome. So I went out and bought the bath-mat & it apparently only gets used when I visit. But it was well worth the purchase for my own safety at least.

Latest posts

Back