I got a new toy!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynusann

Reaction score
My new toy arrived today (after a terrible day at work it couldn't have been any better to see this box sitting out front). Care to guess?

Hint... It is cp related

1438647310731.jpg

That is an awfully big box....and so I can't guess since I haven't ever gotten big things before...

Unless it is lard--50 lbs of lard would be big...I guess. I will find out eventually.

But toy--I would guess cutter. I haven't ever seen one before honestly, so unwrap and show me! :)

I would cuddle it, call it 'My Precious' then start brainstorming a new batch so I could break it in!

OMG, DH would have just died if I had started calling it "My Precious" He's a huge LOTR fan (I married a nerd...)

Well, cut my first loaf with the cutter and i LOVE the cutter. The soap was compete rubbish though even though the swirl turned out pretty but i will probably trash the soap

1438661967749.jpg

Why was the soap rubbish, Lyn? I hate to see you trash it, it might turn out to be the one, great, perfect soap that you always read about, where people think they are bad until they forget about them and try them six mos. later.

When I unmolded it oils were leaking everywhere. The colors in the soap aren't actually solid (if i touch them they cave in). The whole bar is waxy and stinks. The recipe I used for this is one I've been using for about a year now but the only difference is that I subbed the water for aloe juice. It's that recipe I mentioned earlier that traced crazy fast. Albeit, I swapped a liquid, this recipe hasn't acted at all like any of the batches I've ever made with it and I can't imagine the oil seepage is going to improve too much...

Isn't it wonderful when a bad day turns around like that? Enjoy your new soap cutter. Yay for you!

smileys-cheerleading-755332.gif

Well, I still love my soap cutter. It's sitting on the kitchen counter because I don't have anywhere else to store it at the moment. Came down this morning to see my soap and was irritated, then looked up and saw my soap cutter and instantly saw little hearts floating all around it :D

*sigh* I'm pretty sure I figured out why the soap went to hell on me. First, I should have just had more patience and left the stinkin' thing in the mold for a few more days (but I really like instant gratification sometimes........). Second - the FO I used I apparently forgot to mark on the bottle (like I do for all others) that it is NOT good for CP soaps. So I'm going to have another go with the aloe juice

Quote: "Came down this morning to see my soap and was irritated, then looked up and saw my soap cutter and instantly saw little hearts floating all around it :D"

YAY!

Quote" " *sigh* I'm pretty sure I figured out why the soap went to hell on me. Second - the FO I used I apparently forgot to mark on the bottle (like I do for all others) that it is NOT good for CP soaps. So I'm going to have another go with the aloe juice"

That has got to be a big part/maybe all of the problem. I don't think the suppliers would note that unless it is *really* a problem, just cuts into the sale of the product. I hate it when I use morphers by mistake. Sometimes when you have a problem soap it can be kind of interesting to try and figure out what went wrong and try and fix it, but w/a known morpher all you can do is slap yourself , mark/segregate the bottle, and move on ....

[/QUOTE]

That has got to be a big part/maybe all of the problem. I don't think the suppliers would note that unless it is *really* a problem, just cuts into the sale of the product. I hate it when I use morphers by mistake. Sometimes when you have a problem soap it can be kind of interesting to try and figure out what went wrong and try and fix it, but w/a known morpher all you can do is slap yourself , mark/segregate the bottle, and move on ....
[/QUOTE]

Surprisingly, the suppliers website just says "accelerates but still allows for swirling. Otherwise performs nicely with CP"...but ALL of the reviewers that used it for CP said they got soap on a stick, FO separation, etc. I usually put a mark on the top of the label for any of my FO's that aren't good for CP so I don't know how I missed this one. And you're absolutely right...I did slap myself and I'll be off to make more soap tonight.

I got a new toy too! Although not as expensive or cool, I was excited to find it on my door step this morning... a new scale that goes out TWO decimal places! Yes, I have been soaping for 14 months with only one decimal place. Very careful rounding and only three failed batches, which I don't think had anything to do with measuring (ingredients and technique were the culprits, I'm positive). My OCD was really nagging on me about it though, so when my dream scale came on sale for $13 (was $47) I moved my book money to my soap money, lol.

I see you went with the spidery vein color he had available! Congrats!!!

I actually wanted hot pink but his powder coater only did industrial coating so he didn't have it available. Bud sent me to Nuture Soap's website but I really just wanted his. I know Carrie takes care of her customers but for the price, I feel I got much more.

I got a new toy too! Although not as expensive or cool, I was excited to find it on my door step this morning... a new scale that goes out TWO decimal places! Yes, I have been soaping for 14 months with only one decimal place. Very careful rounding and only three failed batches, which I don't think had anything to do with measuring (ingredients and technique were the culprits, I'm positive). My OCD was really nagging on me about it though, so when my dream scale came on sale for $13 (was $47) I moved my book money to my soap money, lol.

Congrats!! It's always fun getting new supplies but new toys that make our lives easier is so much better! I'm disappointed my first cut with my toy but it was still the best thing ever! What scale did you buy?

Back