I got a new puppy!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
obsidian, congrats on your new puppy! So good to hear that he's out of that horrible situation and into a good home. cellador, don't give up on the rescue organizations, it's worth it to hang in there. I went through some of those same situations a little over a year ago, and now I feel it may have been for a reason, because I ended up with the world's best dog! I love him so much, I still can't believe it. So don't be discouraged.

Just an FYI for dog owners. I hadn't had a dog since I was a kid, so I did a lot of reading up before I got my dog. Diet was one thing that had changed a lot since those days. I decided I would make his dog treats, pumpkin is actually one of the ingredients, and I read horror stories about Greenies dog chews, so when I got him, I started giving him those baby carrots to chew on. He loves them! And peas, and broccoli, sometimes better than his dog food! (Of course, you have to check to see which vegetables are safe for dogs to eat.) And then, I ran across a TED talk on Youtube, done by a dog owner who researched the epidemic of cancer in dogs, and a simple change in their diet, that might make a big change in their health. It's easy and inexpensive, it can't hurt, and if it can help prevent cancer, well worth it. If you'd like to take a look... https://www.renegademillionaireblog.com/pethealth.html

Our first week has been interesting and a bit scary. Had a parvo scare after a couple vomits with blood. Thankfully it was just parasites dying off and leaving his body. He has a ton more energy now the worms are gone and he is slowly gaining weight.

Turns out he is part piranha, little guy has zero bit inhibition and the sharpest teeth I've ever experienced. He is teething too which doesn't help, he wants to bit and chew everything!

Housebreaking is slow. He seems afraid of the cold but after having his feet frostbit, I don't blame him. Its getting warmer so we actually have some grass in the yard and he knows if he hurries up and goes, he ca go back inside.

He got brave enough to check out the doggy door, Wouldn't go through it unless I held the flap up but its a start. I can't wait for that, should make house training easier. Will need a bigger door soon.

The sun was shining enough yesterday it was actually warm and I was able to sit in the grass while he zoomed around me. It was his first time really playing outside.

KZRIiuC.jpg

They get along pretty well. He can get a bit rough with Sadie but she puts him in his place most of the time. Main problem is tonka bites her too hard but he is getting better.

I'm baby sitting my daughters dog while she is on vacation and that's a whole different story.
Flash hates the puppy and growls non stop, of course tonka thinks it's a game and won't stop pestering flash.

Poor guy is going to be so traumatized by the time DD gets home he'll never want to visit again.

Adorable puppy! So glad your house is full again, and glad Tonka found a good home!

Back