I get to try my first cured soap tonight!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_3190.JPG
ive been a VERY good girl!! As resistant as I was, at first, I took heed and waited! Yes, I've kept little 'scrids ' and pieces by the sink, but Ill actually be taking a bar to the shower tonight! My first batches are almost 8 weeks old. I've waited until I was at the end of my purchased supply of natural soaps. I'm pleased! Let the gifting begin!!

Gardening! Or car repairs! Go do something very dirty-making, then you can take several bars and spend a long long time in your quality control testing.
I admire your fortitude.

Laura, what a lovely bedspread! Just a word of caution so what happened to me doens't happen to you. If you lay down some sort of covering over top of your lovely bedspread, it can prevent any damage from seeping soaps.

Yes, I did have some soaps in a cardboard box seep a bit of oils through the cardboard and onto my bedspread in a situation quite similar to yours in the photo. The oil stain won't come out.

Laura, what a lovely bedspread! Just a word of caution so what happened to me doens't happen to you. If you lay down some sort of covering over top of your lovely bedspread, it can prevent any damage from seeping soaps.

Yes, I did have some soaps in a cardboard box seep a bit of oils through the cardboard and onto my bedspread in a situation quite similar to yours in the photo. The oil stain won't come out.
Thank you for that!! It's the only place in my house I can keep them under a fan!!

I would recommend getting a cheap flannel back tablecloth from a 99 cent store and laying it on your bed to protect it. Soap will and can weep and leak oils at time when they get a mind to.

So how is the report on your first cured soap use?

You_Doodle_2018-02-18T03_49_14Z.jpg
IMG_3010.PNG
I would recommend getting a cheap flannel back tablecloth from a 99 cent store and laying it on your bed to protect it. Soap will and can weep and leak oils at time when they get a mind to.

So how is the report on your first cured soap use?
Great idea!
Well, the first one felt kind of 'draggy', maybe because no castor oil? I didn't have any yet! I wondered if it was the low sf, but the second one only had 2%, and it felt great!!. The second one feels SO awesome!! Beautiful lather!! It's 30% coconut, no wonder!! I haven't used that much coconut oil in my latest batches, because of fear of stripping. Hmmm... for me, SO FAR, it feels great!! I will compare a couple more tonight!

Last edited:
As for your first soap feeling draggy I find OO over 20% always feels sticky to me. I can almost always tell a high percentage OO soap, but that high CO would destroy my old eczema skin. Ouchie :eek:. I love Cedarwood

Trying out your first soaps - FUN! I love avocado oil in soap and maybe that is part of what you are liking in your second bar. FWIW, I don't have a problem with 25% coconut oil.

As for your first soap feeling draggy I find OO over 20% always feels sticky to me. I can almost always tell a high percentage OO soap, but that high CO would destroy my old eczema skin. Ouchie :eek:. I love Cedarwood
Hmmm... I will take that into consideration! I don't know what has made me think soap NEEDED a good amount of oo!
Trying out your first soaps - FUN! I love avocado oil in soap and maybe that is part of what you are liking in your second bar. FWIW, I don't have a problem with 25% coconut oil.
second night on the 30% co. I think it's fine. I'll give It some more days before I really know. It's going to take a lot of time, and comparing!! It's hard that I have 12 batches, different recipes that I really have no idea about yet. Comparing will be fun, maybe!!!

Sooo... I guess different people use soap in different ways, making their needs different!! I've showered with my husband hundreds of times over 25 years, and didn't realize that he doesn't lather the soap first, he just starts dragging it around on his body!! He finds it 'draggy'. I don't find that because I lather it in my hands first!! Will superfatting help that for him? I have my first 4 batches InThe shower now! None have a superfat higher than 3. Later batches I went up to 5, but haven't tried those yet. Crazy question?? Funny I never realized this!

No, a higher SF won't help the draggy feel. Make him a lard soap, it's will be slicker without drag.

I find using high liquid oil of any kind makes a weird draggy soap. Doesn't matter if it's OO, avocado, safflower, etc. I think it's high oleic acid that does it.

I believe I posted a recipe in your soft soap thread, it's the 50% lard one. It's my base recipe and is well liked by most everyone.

Congratulations Laura!
I couldn't wait that long to try my first soaps :)
Try the draggy soaps again in the summer, they will probably be great by then!

No, a higher SF won't help the draggy feel. Make him a lard soap, it's will be slicker without drag.

I find using high liquid oil of any kind makes a weird draggy soap. Doesn't matter if it's OO, avocado, safflower, etc. I think it's high oleic acid that does it.

I believe I posted a recipe in your soft soap thread, it's the 50% lard one. It's my base recipe and is well liked by most everyone.
Thank you!! I just made my first recipe with GV shortening, I know it's not the same as lard, but I'm getting closer. I'm going to give that a try and tell DH something better is coming!! I LOVE my soap so far, and I still have about 8 more batches to try (in due time). I'm kind of glad they are all different!
Congratulations Laura!
I couldn't wait that long to try my first soaps :)
Try the draggy soaps again in the summer, they will probably be great by then!
im looking forward to it!! I will look forward to comparing!! I really did use restraint, but I think it came down to the fact that I more enjoyed admiring each one, therefore not in a hurry to use it!!

The GV makes a bar very similar to lard, it should be nice and slick too.

You might consider trying a chelating agent, that can also help with the draggy feeling

Latest posts

Back