I forgot to add my castor oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Botanicalqueen

Reaction score
Hello I am new here, I was making a large batch of soap and I was moving too fast and realized once I was done I forgot my castor oilwhich was 5% my recipe was 5% avocado butter,5%avcado oil,30% palm oil,30% coconut oil and 25% olive oil. And my super day was at 8%.
I have never rebatched soap before. Or can I just test it for lye and see if I can still use it? Can someone please help?

Last edited:
Without knowing specifically the size of your batch and how much lye you added, I would think your batch is probably ok. With an 8% superfat you have a little bigger margin of error. Wait a few days and do a zap test to be sure. If it zaps, let it sit for another week or so and test it again.

My batch was 150oz
I missed 7.50oz of castor oil

725802E6-E4B9-4859-BE98-B2AA1A43BC29.png

your original recipe will have a superfat of around 4%
you can check this yourself by entering your recipe, noting the lye and then taking out the missing oil and adjust the superfat percentage until you get the same lye weight as your original recipe.

your original recipe does not require a negative superfat, so it is not lye heavy with the 5% castor oil removed

the second recipe you have provided is different and would need to be recalculated using the method i gave above if this is the actual one you want to check

The screenshot above is a different recipe than your first post, but I'll assume the screen shot is the one you used. You would need 614 grams (21.67 oz) for a soap with 0 superfat and no castor. You added 591.08 g (20.85 ounces), so your soap is not lye heavy. I am not going to figure out what the superfat actually is, but the soap is safe to use.

The screenshot above is a different recipe than your first post, but I'll assume the screen shot is the one you used. You would need 614 grams (21.67 oz) for a soap with 0 superfat and no castor. You added 591.08 g (20.85 ounces), so your soap is not lye heavy. I am not going to figure out what the superfat actually is, but the soap is safe to use.
yes it was but the it was the same amount for the mango that was for avocado and same thing for the avocado oil and grape seed. But thank you so much. I will

Latest posts

Back