I find this very shady.......

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmakkers

Reaction score
So I was looking around at one of the suppliers and noticed they are now selling a new wire soap cutter that is basically the same as one of the well known soapers design. It's a design that she posted on her blog about and I know she posted so others could make it for themselves but for a company to go and turn it into a mass product....I just think that's pretty sketchy. I hope they at least let her know that they were going to use her design.

Since I really don't know who or what you're talking about, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. There are many people doing wire cutters for soap and many look very similar. How do you know this soaper didn't copy someone else's design? I mean, how do you know her idea is the original and others' products came after hers?

I didn't want to name the company but the design is from Tatsiana's blog. Maybe she copied the design from someone else but I remember one of the forum members had an issue with the same company a while back so it kinda put me on alert like maybe they are doing it again.

I can appreciate your concern. That said, I don't know that I would be making vague comments without hard information that there really is a problem. Perhaps you should bring this matter to Tatsiana's attention, first, and see what she has to say? If something more needs to be said or done to protect her intellectual rights, then she can take it from there in a constructive way.

I want to stress the ONLY thing I know about who or what you are referring to is your use of Tatsiana's name in your previous post. I'm not coming to anyone's rescue. Just sharing what I have learned about situations like this and how they can take on an ugly life of their own and cause a lot of unnecessary pain and hard feelings.

I totally understand where you are coming from and with that being said, I am def. going to let her know so she can take it where she wants. I just hate to see a big company take advantage of the little guys.

Most of the horizontal soap cutters I have seen have resemblances to each other. The arm design that Tatsiana uses is very very similar to one on Alibaba and and the box style of BB's is very similar to Soap Hutches and there was yet another one that had elements from several of them together. There are probably only so many ways to make an efficient horizontal cutter so there will be similarities, same as if you look at all the log cutters made by different places, they will all have commonalities.

I totally agree. My husband built my first one by looking at all the options out there. I have since gone to a Metal Bud Cutter, there are only so many ways to make them.

Back