I didn't superfat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on the recipe. I have a recipe that is 50% shea butter that only superfat at 2%, and it is very mild. shea butter has lots of unsaponifiables that will kill lather, so the 2% superfat helps compensate for that, and the unsaponifiables make up for the lack of extra oil. You soap will probably be more bubbly and also more cleansing than the same recipe with a superfat.

If you measured accurately it should be fine. Soap Calcs are built on averages so there is usually some leeway. Most of my recipes are in the 1-2% superfat range since I do not like a lot of extra oil in soap. It will mostly depend on your recipe if you like it or not. If your recipe is high in CO you probably will not like it

Because Soap Calcs are built on averages, if you superfat at zero, you have a 50% chance of having some unsaponified oil in your soap and a 50% chance of having some free lye. Free lye is bad. Most of us use at least 2% superfat for this reason unless it's for a laundry soap.

"....if you superfat at zero, you have a 50% chance of having some unsaponified oil in your soap and a 50% chance of having some free lye..."

If you use a typical online soap recipe calculator, a zero superfat setting will invariably create a small but positive superfat in the soap unless there's something else amiss or your fats are way outside the norm for sap values.

The reason -- All of the online soap calcs I've checked assume the NaOH is 100% pure, but NaOH in real life is not even close to that. Most manufacturer/supplier info I've seen states the purity is around 95%, give or take a couple of percent.

The difference between the assumed 100% purity and the actual purity for YOUR NaOH is what I call the hidden superfat. If your recipe is set to zero superfat using an online calc, the actual superfat is going to be roughly equal to the hidden superfat.

Latest posts

Back