I didn't know this :/

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwolanin

Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one that just found out WPS sells FO in Fluid Ounces.
My whole soaping world has been lies! LMAO
:twisted:

I've discovered that most places do... It must be a conspiracy so that we all have a shelf or drawer full of bottles with little bits of oil in them...lol

You know, I never even thought to look. I just "assumed" that since it was FO for soaping, they meant weighed ounces, not fluid. So, my recipe w/my mold calls for around 2 oz of FO and I've just been putting in the 2 oz bottles. I guess that means I've got to start ordering 4 oz bottles or using a smaller mold to test fragrances. I did always wonder though how come the soapers in the videos always seemed to be using waaaaaay more FO than I was and their molds didn't seem to be much bigger and in some cases smaller. I was (and still plan to) going to do a search on FO usage today.

Interesting because I haven't noticed this with my 2 oz. jars. I have SO many of them.. like 50 at any given time even with throw aways, that I like to make batches that use them all up. I still weigh it out though guess out of habit and haven't noticed a difference.
Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention? lol IDK.. but I will be now to see.

Haha! I find this to be funny. It never occurred to me that they would NOT be fluid oz. I'm new to soaping, so I'm still trained on "life" measurements. Liquids are measured in fluid ounces and solids are measured in mass. That's why buying oils in bulk is hard for me. I know how much a quart of olive oil is, but how much is 7 lbs of olive oil? Is $30 a good deal for 7 lbs or not? Is $2.50 good for a quart? So confusing. I've discovered 7 lbs of coconut oil & castor oil are less than a gallon. Is it the same for olive oil? I totally understand why weighing everything is so important instead of using standard measuring cups.

Oh goodness I checked the website and they do in fact mark the FO as fl. oz. I never noticed! I just assumed and apparently I've had a 10 month long brain fart....I need to wake up and smell the FO LOL. :shifty:

Yay for NG :)
That's why I shop directly from them because it's pretty much same here. Their reseller sells FOs in mls.
I just did a quick calculation, 50ml which is 1.69 fl oz or so is around $9-10 Aus here. I know they need to make some profit but that is a rip off.

Back