I did not confess why our dishwasher broke

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m adding less than 1/2 ounce (1 tsp) of citric acid for the occasional load of soap dishes. Based on testing with pH strips, 1/2 ounce CA in 2 gal of water drops the pH to 5.5 from 7. I think my dishwasher uses 4-5 gallons of water per load. Newer dishwashers may use less water.

The manufacturer of my dw sells a citric acid based product for descaling (frequency not given) and a washing soda based product to clean the dishwasher (cleaning is recommended every few months).

Does your dishwasher have an integrated water softener (i. e. you have to feed it with salt from time to time)?

I recently had my dishwasher serviced when my husband wasn’t sure what was wrong with it not working and leaking. The dishwasher guy took it apart and dig out all the particles of not broken down dishwasher packs. He said that is the number 1 thing he runs into with dishwashers. We did get a new water softener system this flyers and I started using the power dishwasher detergent. The walls were stained orange from the iron and now they are a pale yellow after a couple months of the new detergent. I’m gonna test this CA method out also! I just got a bunch

Here is what I do:

I scrape as much of the batter as I possibly can...bowls, spatulas, stick blender (I used to think soap makers did it to not waste soap). I also run my Stick Blender in a pitcher of hot soaping water. I then wipe everything down with microfiber towels...I tried paper towels but didn't like the waste and I tried old cotton rags, but couldn't get them to rinse well. By using microfiber, I can simply reuse the same equipment until it's time to call it a day. At that point, I spray everything down with an 'orange' cleaner I got from the "dollar" store (excepting lye container and I spray that with white vinegar). I can then wash the dishes in the sink as normal or toss them in the dishwasher.

This is great. I really hate using paper towels as I seem to go through a TON every batch. I'll keep my eye open for MF towels next trip to the dollar store.

Good point! For monthly cleaning how much would you use?
The article from GE that @Mobjack Bay refers to says to fill the soap dispenser cup.

Citric acid wash:

1. Fill the detergent cup with three to four ounces of citric acid crystals and close the cup.
  2. Run through a normal wash cycle.
  3. Follow up with another wash cycle with dishwasher detergent in the soap cup.
  4. Repeat process if the mineral build up was especially heavy and one treatment did not completely remove all minerals.
Note:
  • Plain dishes can remain in the dishwasher, but patterned dishes and glasses should be removed.
  • Do not place metal items in the dishwasher during a citric acid treatment

Whoops, just read the remaining entries, looks like Mobjack Bay uses about a teaspoon.

Last edited:
This is great. I really hate using paper towels as I seem to go through a TON every batch. I'll keep my eye open for MF towels next trip to the dollar store.

I got mine from Amazon Microfiber Cloths. Sadly, they only have the 12-packs available right now. I keep a couple of damp ones on my soap cart...they pick up oils, mica, dispersed TD, A/C, etc without leaving a trail.

Mrs. Zing has the same problem as @maryloucb unfortunately. I brag when I hang a picture on the wall, and that's about as handy as I get. I did marry Handy Annie and Betty Crocker (one person, monogamous, not poly) who among other accomplishments, tiled our bath and kitchen.

I use newspapers to wipe out everything. Old school here. If you younguns don't know what a newspaper is, google it.

Latest posts

Back