I did it! I did it! I did it!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
Happy dancing all over the forum.... whoop whoop... I did it... whoop whoop....

Lmao

Ok.... deep breath.... compose myself .....

Ladies and gents, I did my first batch, without blowing up my kitchen, melting my skin off with lye, or flinging soap goo everywhere (all things my overanxious brain was fretting about lol)

Next post will be details - recipe, photos, etc

Going back to happy dancing! Whoop whoop! LOL

Alright!!! Congratulations! Now comes the hard part - waiting to cut.

Then, you get to watch it cure for 4 weeks!!!

(Better make more soap to keep yourself occipied :smile:)

Ah that's awesome, you got the hardest part out of the way! Make sure and post photos, we looove photos.

Ok here are the details -
Recipe:
I used a modification of one posted as a good beginner recipe. I purposely chose to do a 1pound batch, both to conserve supplies on the first one, and cuz I was chicken to work with larger quantities lol.

Avocado 10% - 31.18 g
Castor 10% - 31.18 g
Coconut 20% - 62.37 g
Lard 30% - 93.55 g
Olive 30% - 93.55 g
Superfat 5%
FO 5%
Water 118.5 g
Lye 43.18 g
Soap batch weight before CP 1.065 lbs

Soapcalc Numbers for the batch:
Hardness 36
Cleansing 14
Conditioning 59
Bubbly 23
Creamy 31
Iodine 60
INS 144

Here's the photos, no idea why they are sideways, LOL. Will edit before uploading next time.

Got lye solution made them let it sit to cool while I got the oils/fats measured
uploadfromtaptalk1437785400306.jpg

Everything assembled and ready to combined
uploadfromtaptalk1437785426290.jpg

Light trace just before adding FO
uploadfromtaptalk1437785447830.jpg

Medium trace after adding FO
uploadfromtaptalk1437785468228.jpg

Poured into mold container (a little storage container that holds 16 oz perfectly with about a ¼ inch to spare)
uploadfromtaptalk1437785551837.jpg

All the air tapped out and top smoothed out
uploadfromtaptalk1437785591884.jpg

Top set on loosely, not sealed, to allow some air in and some moisture out
uploadfromtaptalk1437785650540.jpg

Wrapped in a towel to be set on the shelf til whenever it's ready to me taken from the mold and cut
uploadfromtaptalk1437785720259.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1437785139626.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437785139626.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 130
  • uploadfromtaptalk1437785215226.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437785215226.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 121
  • uploadfromtaptalk1437785376853.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437785376853.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 118
Alright!!! Congratulations! Now comes the hard part - waiting to cut.

Then, you get to watch it cure for 4 weeks!!!

(Better make more soap to keep yourself occipied :smile:)

Lmfao lenarenee, I was just sitting here thinking the same thing Hahahahaha. Wondering if no should try the other beginner batches tonight since it went so fast. Hmmmm.

Thats probably a good choice. That, or go put on a movie, eat some popcorn, go to bed and excitedly way up tomorrow like its <Insert Gift Giving Holiday of Choice> and revel in your soapy beauty!

Btw... I didn't see any noticeable acceleration when I added the FO, but since it's my first batch, how do I know? LOL. However, I wasn't sure if I should add it to the fats before adding the lye or after, so i added it at light trace.

Congratulations! Looks like it's going to be a very nice soap! You'd know acceleration if it happened to you and I'm glad it didn't on your first batch. I do have a question for you though. Did you coat your container in either vaseline or mineral oil before you put your batter in? Hopefully so, because it will make it easier for you to remove the soap when you're ready to unmold and cut.

Again, Congratulations on your first of many batches of soap and welcome to your new support group!

Congratulations! Looks like it's going to be a very nice soap! You'd know acceleration if it happened to you and I'm glad it didn't on your first batch. I do have a question for you though. Did you coat your container in either vaseline or mineral oil before you put your batter in? Hopefully so, because it will make it easier for you to remove the soap when you're ready to unmold and cut.

Again, Congratulations on your first of many batches of soap and welcome to your new support group!

Ummmmm..... coat the container? ..... ummmmm.... that would be a negative batman LOL.... well, that will prove interesting to see when it comes time to unmold hahahaha
**** and I thought I covered every aspect :/

It's very possible that it won't mean a thing and your soap will pop out easy-peezy. But, yeah, if you're going to use plastic molds, you will want to coat them so that your soap unmolds easily. Some use vaseline and some use mineral oil. I learned this the hard way with my very first ever batch; used a brand new cat liter pan and had to let it harden for 5 days before it would release. I'd imagine that with a 1 Lb batch, you wouldn't have that big of a problem if any at all.

It's very possible that it won't mean a thing and your soap will pop out easy-peezy. But, yeah, if you're going to use plastic molds, you will want to coat them so that your soap unmolds easily. Some use vaseline and some use mineral oil. I learned this the hard way with my very first ever batch; used a brand new cat liter pan and had to let it harden for 5 days before it would release. I'd imagine that with a 1 Lb batch, you wouldn't have that big of a problem if any at all.

Whew, had me fretting LOL. I've got cooking spray and oils etc, so will remember that next time. I'm currently plotting an idea while I make a slab mold. Down the line I want to make the same recipe in a larger batch n play with color :)

Well, if you make a slab mold, you'll want to go out and get some freezer paper so that you can line your mold. You do NOT want to pour soap batter into an unlined large mold. Playing with color (and scent) is fun and will lead you even further "down the rabbit hole" as not_ally would say. :smile:

Back