I did it! I did it! I did it!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if you make a slab mold, you'll want to go out and get some freezer paper so that you can line your mold. You do NOT want to pour soap batter into an unlined large mold. Playing with color (and scent) is fun and will lead you even further "down the rabbit hole" as not_ally would say. :smile:

Lol the rabbit hole is calling. In have parchment paper a s wax paper. Will either of them all work?

Woohoo! Congrats!

See..not so skeery now is it? :lol:

And either parchment paper or wax paper will work, just make sure you turn the waxy side away from the soap if you use the wax paper. Heck, you can even use plastic grocery bags or trashbags if you're in a pinch {or lazy like me lol}

Btw......you have been assimilated. Welcome hehehehehe

Woohoo! Congrats!

See..not so skeery now is it? :lol:

And either parchment paper or wax paper will work, just make sure you turn the waxy side away from the soap if you use the wax paper. Heck, you can even use plastic grocery bags or trashbags if you're in a pinch {or lazy like me lol}

Btw......you have been assimilated. Welcome hehehehehe

LOL should I start calling myself 7 of 9 now?? Hahahaha

Do NOT use cooking oils or spray and expect that to help your soap unmold. Those oils will saponify(and just become more soap). You need to use mineral oil or petroleum jelly. Those do not saponify.

Oh I didn't think of that... duh.... blonde moment LOL

With the oils you used, I would think it would be fine to wait at least 12 hrs..that's usually when I cut mine with a high % of CO...you def want to wait till the gel phase is over regardless.

If you cant stand it, take a gloved finger and push on it after its done with the gel..if its quite firm, you can attempt unmolding and a cut. If its squishy, Id leave it for at least a 12 hr set before trying it again.

I usually dont insulate mine, but if you still have the towels on it, keep an eye on it until you are sure its not overheating {cracks or oil droplets}

Once gel is complete, just take the towels off and see how it feels :)

Jstar - the top showed a tiny bit of cracking a couple hours ago, but it was still very very soft then, so I assumed it was ok, not a disaster in the making LOL. No oil drops though, so I think it's all good so far.

I just checked it, and it is cooler to the touch now and firming up nicely. I'm debating taking the towel off, but I want to ensure that gel is consistent, so I might leave it. I was worried the FO would discolor is, but it hasn't, so that looks good too.

I'm like a mother when waiting for the eggs to hatch geez LOL

congratulations! I hope it comes out easily for you, despite the mold being plastic. It looks great and its always wonderful to hear about a good first trial! Cant wait to see the cut pictures

Crap I think I accidentally deleted my own post about when to unmold when I just wanted to modify it. Ugh, this is why I don't use the web interface LOL

congratulations! I hope it comes out easily for you, despite the mold being plastic. It looks great and its always wonderful to hear about a good first trial! Cant wait to see the cut pictures

Thanks DG, I'm so excited to see it cut I'm antsy! :)

Gigi, congrats on your first soap.

When you have cut photos would you like to upload them to the Photo Gallery please, that's where they all go, saves me having to move photos.

Congrats :)

As one beginner to another, I recommend mineral oil :). The vaseline apparently I didn't spread smooth so a few of my soaps had funny looks.

Placing a bet you won't make it a month before doing another batch....I didn't... :)

I posted my first soap pics in the gallery! Happy dancing! :)

Relle - I just posted them in the gallery :)

nsmar4211 - a month?? If I weren't working today, I'd be making one this afternoon LOL. I have every intention of making another batch on Sunday since I'm off :)

Congratulations. You have made a wonderful looking soap and that's what happens when you are well prepared. From all your posts, I could say you were already addicted before you made your first soap ever. And you are with the biggest enablers. Your addiction is only going to get worse.

Just a trick on the unmolding. When it is ready, close the lid and drop it gently upside down, onto the floor from a foot or so height. It would release all by itself. Most recently tested trick during the SMF challange :).

Latest posts

Back