I could use some help with a screw up..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanooo48

Reaction score
I made a soap with essential oils and 100% coconut oil, aloe 1x liquid mixed with lye water. There is also activated charcoal in this recipe. The soap is super soft! My error may have been I did not mix to trace enough before pouring. It was taking foreverrrr and I may have gotten a little too impatient. I know.. Silly stupid. Please don’t judge. I’m just getting back in the groove of life lol. I tried throwing it in the oven. Yup that made it softer haha I don’t k ow why I thought that was a good idea lol. Can I possibly rebatch this and add some shea butter? Is that a dumb idea? Would I need to add more lye, water? How would I calculate this? Are these silly questions? Mind you I’ve just put in many work hours so my brain is probably functioning at the rate of apple sauce right now. I can use all the help I can get. Thank you so very much! :oops:

Attachments

• DECA19AA-5365-412D-BC5F-137F5B0A467D.jpeg
    DECA19AA-5365-412D-BC5F-137F5B0A467D.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 12
How long since you made it? How long since you heated it in the oven, is it still warm?

Please post your whole recipe so we can trouble shoot.

I would not add anything to it. That just adds more variable to correct.
You can rebatch but if the recipe is ok and its not separated into a oily mess, you may just need to wait longer.

20.3oz CO
3oz lye
6.7 distilled water and aloe 1x mixture
Did you need the essential oils too?

I split the pour into two molds I only put one into the oven experimenting. They are both still soft to push on. I’ve never had this happen before. =/

Oh my gosh. Now the one I heated is cracking. :eek: And I’m an over poster! Agh!!!

Your recipes looks fine and since its heating up and cracking, its most likely mixed enough.

Coconut oil soap can heat up a lot, either prop the mold up so air can circulate around it and put a small fan blowing on it or put the mold in the fridge.

You can gently push down on the top, try to bring the crack together.

So you’re basically saying be patient? My need for near to instant gratification is just not going to happen? Lol?

Well dag nabbit. I got all these finger pokes in it. What’s wrong with me and my impatience with this batch! Lol I’ll have to get creative with my cuts when it hardens enough haha! They are supposed to be mini facial bars anyhow. 🤷‍♀️

Well dag nabbit.
My dad used to say that a lot. 🥰

It's sort of funny that a 100% CO soap would be something to test your patience! For me, they move so quickly, I can barely keep up! But maybe I soaped hotter or stick blended more. Although I have not made a 100% CO soap with AC as an additive, therefore I don't know what that contributes to the process in this case. I do know that when I add AC to soap batter, it usually thickens up more though.

When giving a recipe, listing all your ingredients & settings (like SF, etc.) in a single post is most helpful. So when you listed one ingredient in the first post, then the oils and lye and water amounts in a subsequent post, but not the weight of any of the other ingredients, totally excluding how much AC you added, as well as the fragrances, that can make it a little tough to figure out what went wrong. And you did not say anything about your process, such as soaping cold or warm or hot, using a stick blender or only hand stirring, etc. We still don't have a full picture of what caused the problem you are seeing, other than you say you are impatient. But I will venture to suggest some other possible contributing factors...

Just as some fragrances can accelerate trace, some can actually slow trace. Maybe you used a decelerating fragrance. One possible factor.

AC will thicken soap, so depending on how much you added and how much you mixing/blending you did, it can seem thick before it is as well mixed as it would be without the added ingredient. (Same for some other additives.) Also, if not well mixed prior to pouring the soap, the additives can sink toward the bottom of the mold (come out of suspension) leaving the top part of the soap more liquid. I've had that happen when not mixing the batter well enough. Two more possible factors.

It looks like you set your recipe to about 20% SF and have a Lye Concentration of about 30.7. I rarely make soap with that high SF, so I cannot say for sure, but perhaps that is part of the reason for it moving more slowly to thicken up. But with that much water, and only CO as your oil, it seems like it should have heated up pretty fast as it interacted with the lye. But maybe you soaped really cool? (Another possible factor.)

But I have made 100% CO oil before and it has always traced really quickly, and did not need any added heat. In fact, in a loaf mold, I had to cool it to stop it from cracking (raised the mold up off the counter on a cooling rack).

There are other possible factors as well, such as weight errors, or even malfunctioning scales (batteries dying?)

Another factor is the mold you used for the soap. Insulation versus no insulation is another factor. Molds that insulate, such as wooden molds, will facilitate the soap to heat up faster, whereas some other molds do not (a plastic mold, for example).

So I am not sure if any of those other possible factors existed for your soap or not, but I am not sure that impatience alone could be the only factor.

Incidentally, during the initial gel phase, the soap gets hotter and turns translucent and looks more like gelatin than at any other time during the process. So, of course it was still soft at that point. And being 100% CO, it tends to stay hot longer, particularly if in a loaf mold. But it should get hard pretty quickly, even while it is still hot. I'm actually surprised it wasn't too hot to poke with your fingers, even gloved, my fingers wouldn't like poking hot Coconut Oil soap.

I made an acitvated charcoal soap (3 tbsp charcoal in a 14-oz oils soap) a few weeks ago and although I was able to unmold and cut it after 4 days, I can still make dents in the cut bars! It was an experiment so I'm not too bothered, but its curious how long its taking to cure. It wasn't 100% CO though.

Latest posts

Back