I can't do a decent drop swirl!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've decided I don't like drop swirls. They never turn out any good. Always just a big U shaped mess. Are there any drop swirl experts out there that can help with tips? I see a lot of lovely ones but just can't seem to emulate them. Here's my most recent one and the method I used was to half pour the green (ITP swirl) into the mold, then I did a 'kiss pour' of my teal and pink from a reasonable height, then a bit more green from a height, then a little more kiss pour. Lastly I combined all of them as ITP for the top layer before spooning the two remaining colours onto the top. I'm thinking the U shape comes from pouring the second run of the base colour down the centre. I obviously make this mistake a lot, given I have a lot of U-swirled soaps.

Attachments

• IMG_3683.jpg
    IMG_3683.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 88
I know you are frustrated and I do hope you get some good tips here! I'm surprised because you are an incredibly talented super soaper -- have to admit it's a relief to find out you are human! :) I've never done this type of swirl -- on purpose, at least. But I will say that that soap is lovely. The color combo is very Arizona-esque, hope you get the reference.

Well, I don't see anything wrong with your drop swirl. What are you hoping it will look like? Maybe you're hoping to get more of the drops deeper into the base?

You don't like the big U, and yes, that's from doing one pass with the color. I do 2 or 3 each pass, not in the same place.

Are you dropping from various heights as well? When you drop, a good sign that it's reaching a nice depth is when you see the base/batter rise up the sides. When it doesn't, then you need to pour higher up and let gravity force it down deeper.

Medium trace starts to be too thick for a deep drop swirl, and a thinner batter dropped high helps.

Here's a few things I do: Fill the mold with about half the batter you would normally use for your drop swirl, then start start the drop swirl with the colors (again using about half of what you would have used). At this point, you drop swirl the white base, then the colors, then base, then colors until finished. (that was very awkwardly explained so let me know if you need a do-over!)

Or, take take half of the white base, add some of the color as though doing an in the pot swirl, pour as usual into the mold. After that, drop swirl the white and colors one by one. Both of these give me a soap swirled although out the bar, but there are definitely a cross between a itp and drop swirl. (drop swirl to me is a drip within a drip, larger more defined blocks of color rather than swirls) I'll see if I have a bar for an example.

20210905_180359.jpg

I seem to have success with drop swirls. I drop from high and alternate from pouring on 1 side and middle, then middle and other side and sort of go back and forth like that. I think when I was first learning, I had watched a couple of Katie Carlson’s YouTube videos and mimicked her pour.

Attachments

• 9041D102-348B-4B92-918C-C25C06C12A26.jpeg
    9041D102-348B-4B92-918C-C25C06C12A26.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 39
  • C67EFD48-318E-4C37-B2C9-4F26021E2771.jpeg
    C67EFD48-318E-4C37-B2C9-4F26021E2771.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 40
  • F19BF903-F065-4B83-90AD-9C1C392CE1EE.jpeg
    F19BF903-F065-4B83-90AD-9C1C392CE1EE.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 38
  • DA36C4AA-5B3D-44EF-9026-C311FC0A6C79.jpeg
    DA36C4AA-5B3D-44EF-9026-C311FC0A6C79.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 40
Of course you can do a drop swirl! Your soap is pretty, but I understand your frustration if that isn't the look you are trying to achieve. I agree that pouring a large-ish amount of the base color down the middle is causing the U shape. Can you find a picture of what you want your result to be? More like this maybe?
2.2021 Lavender & Desert Sage.jpg

I seem to have success with drop swirls. I drop from high and alternate from pouring on 1 side and middle, then middle and other side and sort of go back and forth like that. I think when I was first learning, I had watched a couple of Katie Carlson’s YouTube videos and mimicked her pour.
Now THAT's what I'm talking about - they look great!
Of course you can do a drop swirl! Your soap is pretty, but I understand your frustration if that isn't the look you are trying to achieve. I agree that pouring a large-ish amount of the base color down the middle is causing the U shape. Can you find a picture of what you want your result to be? More like this maybe?
View attachment 60644
Yes - beautiful!
When I make drop swirls I make sure my batter is light/medium trace. I first pour half the batter then alternate the other colors 3 times at varying heights. Hope that helps.
Lovely!

OK - you three, I'll try again in the next couple of days and see what I can come up with.

KiwiMoose, try pouring about 2" of soap in the bottom of your mold. Then in a thinnish stream, pour one color lengthwise 2-3 times (in 2-3 places), followed by the same with a new color (more or less on top of the first color). Repeat, adding in the base color as well. If you want less color throughout the bar, just pour more base in at the start. I'd forget adding in the kiss pour technique for now. You can always revisit that later. You've got this!

Right - here we go....
*Disclaimer* This is one time when my signature glycerine rivers kinda ruined it, along with either stearic spots or rice slurry spots (or both)
IMG_3702.jpg

Then would you believe this reminded me of a few things, and so i went back through my archives to find I CAN do a drop swirl:
IMG_7431.JPGIMG_7539.JPGIMG_8972.JPGIMG_3054.jpg
I think my 'U' shaped issue comes from complacency - I just always think it will turn out OK so I don't pay attention to what I'm doing and what the result will be.

Latest posts

Back