I cannot for the life of me find the answer!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperPeanutify

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but I just want to make sure I get things right. So with adding fragrance for example it is advised to put 5% PPO. However my thinking is let’s say my total oil is 500g. Do you add 5% which is 25g on top of 500g making it 525g total or is the fragrance oil part of 500g total oils so adding 25g to 475g of oils used. My thinking is Fragrance oil is well an oil so lye will be saponifying the oil? I’m concerned if I add 25g on top of 500g then there’ll be a lot of more that 5% superfat thanks!

This may be a stupid question but I just want to make sure I get things right. So with adding fragrance for example it is advised to put 5% PPO. However my thinking is let’s say my total oil is 500g. Do you add 5% which is 25g on top of 500g making it 525g total or is the fragrance oil part of 500g total oils so adding 25g to 475g of oils used. My thinking is Fragrance oil is well an oil so lye will be saponifying the oil? I’m concerned if I add 25g on top of 500g then there’ll be a lot of more that 5% superfat thanks!

If you are adding 5% for a FO you would add it on top of the 500 g of recipe oils. Do not subtract it from the base oil amount.

What Jersey Girl said. Fragrance oil is not a base oil and doesn't saponify, so not considered part of the PPO.
In reality FO is not even an "oil" in the traditional sense so will also not add to any superfat you may have.

I had the same question because the soap I made on Wednesday still seems very soft for the time it’s been sitting. I usually can get soap out of my molds by day 3, but I’m pretty that won’t be the case this time. 😣

Latest posts

Back