I attempted a rebatch...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pug Mom

Reaction score
I cut up the lilac soap and tossed it all in a crockpot, put it on high, added some water, and waited a few hours. I added a little more of the Lilac FO and got the mixer out and went to work. I glopped it into the mold (again) and then this morning IT STILL SMELLED NASTY! So, I just have to remember not to try lilac again.... Bummer...

:( sorry it didn't work out for you....it's very disheartening to lose a batch.

If it's any consolation, Lilac was the very first FO I ever bought, and OOB it smelled EXACTLY like the flowers that I cut from the yard in early spring. I felt so fortunate to have stumbled onto a perfect scent on my very first try! and then I soaped it. Y. U. K. !!! It smells like a greasy version of little old lady soap! Can't tell you how disappointed I was. My family all thinks it smells "as good as grocery store soap", but it's very offensive to me, even after several months cure.

We heat entirely with wood, and keep a kettle simmering on top of the woodstove to humidify the air. A few drops of the lilac FO on top of the simmer water makes the whole house smell like spring, so that is how I'll use up all 8 oz of the doggone stuff! Something about the synergy with lye and oils just ruins it.

We heat entirely with wood, and keep a kettle simmering on top of the woodstove to humidify the air. A few drops of the lilac FO on top of the simmer water makes the whole house smell like spring,

Geez. You learn something new every day. I heat with wood and I burn incense and essential oils all the time and NEVER, EVER thought of putting it in the big cast iron pot simmering on top of the stove. I am going to go do that RIGHT NOW!!!!!

happyday said:
It smells like a greasy version of little old lady soap! Can't tell you how disappointed I was.

That is exactly what mine smells like! My nieces are girl scouts, and they are bringing "prizes" to the senior center for the seniors in a few months...I think I will send the soap with them!

Latest posts

Back